RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited March 2015 in The cake stop
You've been warned....

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    The eclipse is making my ears hurt.

Wearing three pairs of cycling sunglasses at the same time has allowed me to see the sun with a circular bite out of the top.

Normal vision will return...won't it? :wink:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Complete and utter waste of time here on the south coast. Thick blanket of cloud meant that its was gloomy anyway. Only thing I have noticed is that the seagulls have gone a bit loopy.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Complete and utter waste of time here on the south coast. Thick blanket of cloud meant that its was gloomy anyway. Only thing I have noticed is that the seagulls have gone a bit loopy.

Should have seen it here in Manchester. At the point of greatest coverage the face of God appeared and said 'There shall be no more killing in my name - for love is all and love is everything'.

Then Hawkwind had a jam session with Gong.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    I've had one of our telescopes focusing the image on a screen.

It's been interesting. :D

I didn't notice until I had it pointed out and explained to me, that the shadows that objects cast were very different to usual. They were crisp in one plane but blurred the other way.

I'm in Nottingham, I think it said we reached about 89% here, but it didn't seem to be very dark outside at all. However, one chap set up a camera taking pics at the same exposure of the same scene throughout the event, and by the time it reached the maximum, the camera was struggling to find enough light.

The older I get, the better I was.

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I have burned out my retina's.

What's going on...
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    I put one of our £700 welding masks to good use.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Very dull here, cloudy and it just got a bit darker.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Got a good view with a pair of "eclipse glasses" - like those cheap cardboard 3D glasses but with what's essentially a bit of welders mask filter instead of the blue and red.

OP - It's impossible to take a selfie of the solar eclipse unless you are in fact the sun. I suppose you could take one during or with the solar eclipse but what's the harm in that?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Beautiful clear sky for it in Cardiff but have to say it was totally underwhelming.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Had a look through one of the darkroom visors and couldn't see a bloody thing, at all! Tried again with some half strength glasses and it looked half decent. 8)
    Glad I didn't book a day off work for it though. :roll:
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Pross wrote:
    Beautiful clear sky for it in Cardiff but have to say it was totally underwhelming.
    What were you expecting to whelm you?

The impact of something like this on anyone is going to be completely based on their interest in it. A full eclipse is a bit more dramatic but a partial eclipse isn't objectively spectacular.
    I got a good look. Was happy to see it but not excessively awed, then I carried on about my day, much as expected.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I put one of our £700 welding masks to good use.

I'll never complain about the price of Oakleys again...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Ai_1 wrote:
    I suppose you could take one during or with the solar eclipse but what's the harm in that?
    I think that's why this was posted. Various news agencies have been warning people not to in case they blind themselves. I'm not sure how they would do this as presumably when taking said picture the eclipse would be behind the individual taking the selfie. Unless they mean don't take pictures of other people with the eclipse as a background, but that isn't a selfie. Or are they worried that people will try to take selfies with the eclipse in the foreground and them in the background? I don't think that would be possible without an unfeasibly long selfie stick.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    I took a selfie of the eclipse, with a guy who knew a great place to get decals made.

Will put a pic up later :lol:
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    fF145v.jpg

Got this, taken off our drone above stratford this morning, was at around 2200ft.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    fF145v.jpg

Got this, taken off our drone above stratford this morning, was at around 2200ft.

Reminds me of Aggies avatar...
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.