Pannier Rack anyone?

jefflad
jefflad Posts: 315
edited April 2015 in Commuting general
Looking to get a pannier rack for commuting but mainly for the C2C in the summer, any suggestions? I've sort of decided on the Topeak one that fits disc brakes and is compatible with 650b's but before I pull the trigger anyone had experience of this and/or what they think's a great rack? So to clarify - MTB, 650b with disc brakes... Thanks

Comments

• KerSplosh
    KerSplosh Posts: 30
    You mean the Topeak Super Tourist DX? Ive got one, and its worked fine for me for the last 6 years or so. I also have a jepp child seat mount for it and my son rides on that sometimes. No problems for me other than the paint has chipped of a bit - however thats entirely to be expected with the wear that its had from my old panniers and the nature of Londons stupidly bumpy roads
  • jefflad
    jefflad Posts: 315
    KerSplosh wrote:
    You mean the Topeak Super Tourist DX? Ive got one, and its worked fine for me for the last 6 years or so. I also have a jepp child seat mount for it and my son rides on that sometimes. No problems for me other than the paint has chipped of a bit - however thats entirely to be expected with the wear that its had from my old panniers and the nature of Londons stupidly bumpy roads

Yeah, that's the one... thanks for the update!
  • andrepepe
    andrepepe Posts: 35
    I've the Axiom Streamliner Disc and love it.

It's light, cheap and can carry up to 50kg. Doesn't need eyelets on the bottom, as it uses the QR mount!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Axiom-Streamlin ... B004094HY2
    Actual ride: Kona Satori 2012
    Custom Kona Dew Plus 2008

Previous rides:
    - Giant Rapid One (Broken in a accident)
    - Scott Genius MC40 (Stolen)
    - Orange Sub-Five (Broke the frame)
    - Orange G3 (Sold)
    - Orange Crush (Sold)
  • redbikejohn
    redbikejohn Posts: 160
    I had a tortec on my stolen bike, work fine. Cheap from tredz in wales.
    Going for the axiom one too now on my replacement
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Where is the brake mounted? My new bike will have it inside the stays and I have been told by the bike brand normal racks work with it. Anyone tried a standard rack with a disc brake bike where the brake is inside the stays????

I used a Topeak super tourist DX disc compatible rack for about 9 months commuting until it got stolen with my bike. Worked well but the opaint wears of at the hook location. Also my ortliebs lower hook was not a good fit on the bottom because that was where IIRC3 bars were welded together. A little messy but it was all secure and worked well.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    KerSplosh wrote:

+2 for the Super Tourist - 2 in our household, must be 6 years old now, and apart from when my gf fell off her bike and scraped the corner of hers so it's gone a bit manky, clearly nothing to do with the product, they have been spot on, if a little heavy.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Not sure how true but if you have a bike with disc brakes inside the stays then buying a disc compatible rack is not necessary for most cases. The benefits are a cheaper version of effectively the same rack (e.g. the super tourist disc and standard versions) and I recently got told in a LBS that the standard racks are stronger at the attachment point. I think he was referring to the disc compatible racks having either spacers or a plastic bit that goes in from the bottom of the rack to the frame attachment points at the dropouts. Direct fixing to the dropouts without spacers of some form should be stronger I would have thought so the shop assistant was believable IMHO.

I'm thinking of either the standard supertourist (not sure if the DX bit is worth it) or the Tortec expedition. Both have the lower pannier attachment rail to lower the pannier and remove it from interfering with stuff loaded onto the top of the rack (easier to remover rack bags when using panniers for example.
  • telesv650
    telesv650 Posts: 59
    I have two Topeak racks (one conventional, one beam) and have found them excellent, very well made and durable.