Claiming Bike damage on House insurance

Sharky999
Sharky999 Posts: 103
edited March 2015 in MTB general
So my carbon bike has damage to the frame the manufacturer wont warranty it as its "impact damaged" but have been incredibly helpful to try and source a part for it, which has turned out to be impossible as they only make 650b frames now.

My only option now is to claim on my house insurance, has anyone had any experience with this and was it troublesome,

Really all i want is a replacement frame of similar value as my xtr groupset is still in great working order.

Any thought greatly appreciated.

M

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would suggest reading your policy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Yep, depends on the risks you are covered for and any exclusions stated.

If the bike is a specific item covered for damage away from the property, then you are probably onto a winner.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    best of luck with that one! I believe that a bike is excluded for accidental damage unless someone knackered it trying to steal it.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • Sharky999
    It appears we do have accidental damage and also possessions whilst away from home on our cover, although limited to £1500, i suppose it may be worth a shot.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It will depend entirely on policy, so ignore anyone saying "usually xxxx".

It's entirely plausible that you're covered, I know people who have claimed like this. Phone your insurer are ask, simple!
  • Sharky999
    ^^^^^^ I did, and its covered, claim has been processed and approved :-)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Result, well done.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Nice - my old Lloyds insurance policy had a specific accidental damage to bikes thingy in it - was limited to 500 quid but I got the frame on my hardtail replaced twice through it.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.