April/May sun ideas

jsutty
jsutty Posts: 27
Hi all,
Forgive me if this is in the wrong section of the forum...
Looking to escape to find some sun in April/May for training, and in need of ideas of where to go.

Criteria:
Mountains nearby are a must
We can't drive, so we really need one base where there are multiple options for rides, and this also means the place should be accessible by public transport
Anything up to 180k per day

Girona and the Spanish islands are obvious candidates, but ideally we want somewhere nearby with some sights to see for a rest day or two, or at least somewhere that isn't entirely made up of MAMILS.

ANY ideas welcome,
Thanks!

Comments

• holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Portugal may have some options. The Algarve is certainly set up to receive people for golf and other sports.
  • jsutty
    Thanks for the reply. The Algarve seems quite resorty though with not much to see...from what I can work out. Would be happy to be corrected though
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Mallorca, but based in Palma so you have places to visit, things to see and do. And public transport is excellent.

I would say use us, but we're full this spring, so would have to be Autumn or next Spring.
  • jsutty
    Thanks Berni,
    I've settled on southern Greece in the end. Any tips for climbs anyone (the area round Kalamata)?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Mallorca is ideal. Went to Mijas in Spain last year, that was fantastic too.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Mallorca, but based in Palma so you have places to visit, things to see and do. And public transport is excellent.

Tough to beat Mallorca. Exchange rate is now brilliant also. If you can wait to later in the year, we are hearing very good things about Cyclespeed that Bernithehalflapbiker mentioned above.

If you base yourself in or around "the World's best city to live 2015" - Palma there is so much to do in addition to very good routes being close. Great restaurants; upmarket nightlife; shopping (ex rate again) and all close enough to reach without tiring out those tired legs further!

Go north and its more about the mountains, beaches and other outdoor pursuits. Canyoning, kayaking, hiking, maybe a quick scuba dive?

Hope you have a great time wherever you go.