Cant remove cassette

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited March 2015 in Workshop
Hi

As my winter training bike i have a 2006 S-works Roubaix with ultegra 6600 and Roval Fusee wheels..

I recently got a new chain but the cassette has been on there for years. I tried to remove it the other day to figure out why my chain was skipping after adjusting gears etc to find that i couldn't remove the cassette. After closer inspection it looks like the cassette has eaten into the free hub. How do i go about removing this? And why does my chain skip? Last week it was fine but after messing around with the cassette it now skips and makes a strange sound every now again when putting power down that seems to resonate through the bike?

Cheers

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    A new chain will skip on a worn cassette. You need a new cassette. Shimano cassettes dig into the splines on aluminium freehubs, unlike Campag which have deeper splines. That's one reason why Shimano's own freehubs are generally steel. If the notching is not too bad, you can force the cassette off the freehub with a screwdriver or similar and file out the notches in the splines. Otherwise, you need a new freehub.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Use your chainwhip to rotate each sprocket anti-clockwise enough that the splines line up and you can wiggle it off the freehub.

Slipping most likely due to worn cassette/new chain mismatch, but could also be down to poor indexing, a slipping freehub/hub body interface or (least likely) if the cassette's eaten into the freehub badly enough, the cassette could even be slipping around the freehub when you put the power down.
  • roubaixtom
    roubaixtom Posts: 316
    ok, considering the brake tracks are worn and the wheels are over 9 years old could it be worth just getting a new wheelset?
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Yep.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Roubaixtom wrote:
    ok, considering the brake tracks are worn and the wheels are over 9 years old could it be worth just getting a new wheelset?

New wheel time I think. If you're confident you'll never want an 11 speed groupset on the bike you may be able to pick up a pair of Shimano 8/9/10 speed wheels cheaply.