Knaven (aka, chickens coming home to roost)

2»

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Interesting timing
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    shazzz wrote:
    It's worth listening to Brailsford talking about this on the cycling podcast interview that was released today. He isn't particularly convincing in his defence of Knaven but is clear that he keeps his job as long as there is some reasonable doubt that he doped (in the opinion of independent experts) and he continues to maintain his innocence.
    Also interesting to hear his defence of the zero tolerance policy notwithstanding its challenges.

Passionate defence, I thought. Overall a strong, BS-free interview:
    http://thecyclingpodcast.com/podcast/7-dave-brailsford-reacts-to-cyclings-doping-report
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Macaloon wrote:
    shazzz wrote:
    It's worth listening to Brailsford talking about this on the cycling podcast interview that was released today. He isn't particularly convincing in his defence of Knaven but is clear that he keeps his job as long as there is some reasonable doubt that he doped (in the opinion of independent experts) and he continues to maintain his innocence.
    Also interesting to hear his defence of the zero tolerance policy notwithstanding its challenges.

http://thecyclingpodcast.com/podcast/7-dave-brailsford-reacts-to-cyclings-doping-report

That was what struck me.

But I can't get my head around DB's conviction that the policy is right, not wanting ex dopers on the team, etc, vs his half hearted defence of SK. It sounded to me that DB practically acknowledged that it is likely that SK doped but they can't get rid of him while he maintains his innocence. I'm no employment lawer but I'm sure that Sky could get rid of him, for a price, if they wanted to. Maybe his contract is up soon and won't be renewed, maybe they don't have any budget left to pay him off, or there is some other reason. Or maybe DB really does believe Servais has a clean record and just didn't articulate that very well....

I guess it is impossible to know the ins and outs of something like this unless you're on the inside.
  • Macaloon
    shazzz wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    shazzz wrote:

That was what struck me.

But I can't get my head around DB's conviction that the policy is right, not wanting ex dopers on the team, etc, vs his half hearted defence of SK. It sounded to me that DB practically acknowledged that it is likely that SK doped but they can't get rid of him while he maintains his innocence. I'm no employment lawer but I'm sure that Sky could get rid of him, for a price, if they wanted to. Maybe his contract is up soon and won't be renewed, maybe they don't have any budget left to pay him off, or there is some other reason. Or maybe DB really does believe Servais has a clean record and just didn't articulate that very well....

I guess it is impossible to know the ins and outs of something like this unless you're on the inside.

Maybe he's sick of getting his @ss kicked through lack of road-cycling expertise on the squad, and there's enough 'wiggle' in the Knaven story to justify keeping a talented DS on staff. ZTP must be a significant competitive disadvantage to operate under when competing against Vino, Riis etc.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    shazzz wrote:
    Or maybe DB really does believe Servais has a clean record and just didn't articulate that very well....

Don't forget all Dave has to do is look someone in the eye and he knows if they have doped or not.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Surely with this policy, they are asked to sign a document to say if they have been involved in doping. Servais has signed this to say he hasn't. Other evidence has come out to cast doubt on this, but until time hard evidence is offered, they will take his word (in the document) saying he hasn't doped.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    sjmclean wrote:
    Surely with this policy, they are asked to sign a document to say if they have been involved in doping. Servais has signed this to say he hasn't. Other evidence has come out to cast doubt on this, but until time hard evidence is offered, they will take his word (in the document) saying he hasn't doped.

...or as twitter calls it "Incontravertible proof that Knaven personally injected Froome with SuperMegaEPO"
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    This whole Knaven debate is basically when you have a friend that says that they've become a vegetarian and then you find out he still eats fish. It's his and only his decision to become a veggie and his decision what that means. You can score cheap points if you like, but it's not going to trouble the RSPCA.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Has my pescetarian friend also had gender realignment surgery. :o
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95.
    The_Boy wrote:
    Yours may have done but mine has always been called Neil.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

I hope you've told Neil that he isn't a vegetarian
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

Cruel parents?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • tailwindhome
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    Are they still persisting with that non-story? It got no traction outside the usual places last week.

Essentially the story is this: Assistant coach who barely anyone in Britain has heard of may have violated internal company regulations twelve years before that company existed.

Or: The Mail tries to wave their willy at Murdoch and fails to come with anything interesting or new.
  • Macaloon
    RichN95 wrote:
    Or: The Mail tries to wave their willy at Murdoch and fails to come with anything interesting or new.

Phone-whacking?
  • tailwindhome
    "cases keep appearing like unexploded ordnance from a distant war"
    Inner Ring

http://inrng.com/2015/03/servais-knaven ... tolerance/