Stevo's out of a job then...

veronese68
veronese68 Posts: 27,300
edited March 2015 in The bottom bracket
Apparently we don't need to pay tax. We can take tax demands and pay them into our bank accounts like a cheque, twice.
Lunatic33 wrote:
The best case was a guy in the US was sent a tax bill for something like $17,000 (years and years "owed") so he deposited the $17,000 "receipt" in his bank. His argument was that the Government, by creating the paperwork, had inadvertently created a sheet of paper that had brought $17,000 into existence, pretty clever huh! So he just cashed it in and even then he didn't pay the tax off with it. In fact from what I remember of the story he somehow ended up with $34,000 because he repeated the process when they sent him another "bill" (in effect a $17,000 note). All he did was used the law to his advantage. He didn't break any laws in fact on the contrary, it took place in a courtroom.

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    yeah, i got a receipt from Sainsbury earlier, I might try that later
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    Drat, why didn't I think of that... :)

I suspect that the bloke who tried that little ruse probably backed down after the IRS threatened him with jail. Or is in jail if he really thought he could win the argument and didn't pay. They don't take a softly softly approach to people refusing to pay tax on the other side of the pond. Also if you let one do it, they'd all do it - which is kind of the proof of the pudding because if it was legal, it would have gone viral and everyone would just refuse to pay. Go figure...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    Sorry to disappoint, Lunatic33 couldn't find any proof of the tax demand being paid into a bank. We'll have to keep working to earn a wage.
    Quelle surprise.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I know, i'm gutted, I brought all my bills and tax letters from the past 5 years to take to pay in to the bank today, oh well!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    So our Italian friend refers to a post by a forum member who calls himself lunatic33 and we are all surprised that that Lunatics suggestion is a load of rubbish........

I've read somewhere celebrities and MP's pay to get jerked off? Well you can frequent this place and get the 'pleasure' for free, just watch your keyboard :shock:

BTW I had a client many years ago who happened to be a global bank. One of the guys on site, an employee not a contractor was actually caught knocking one out at his desk and marched off site but it was way before bike radar came on the scene....
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • veronese68
    I've never had that kind of happy ending on here before.