Otztal Radmarathon 2015

galatzo
galatzo Posts: 1,295
Every year I try and get some other fools to do this just so I can relive the painful yet wonderful memories from 2013.
It’s a brilliant event, well run, friendly locals, closed roads, fnishers jersey, ridiculous ratio of Germans and Italians to everyone else, amazing scenery and cows on the road.
Entries between now and Feb 28th with a ballot for places after that and first round of places on March 6th – It’s all on the site.
http://www.oetztaler-radmarathon.com/en

Cheers
25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.

Comments

• I agree. And one of the hardest in Europe too. It's worth to experience it! I recommend too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The website makes no sense, doesn't really describe what it is (although looks fun)
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    coriordan wrote:
    The website makes no sense, doesn't really describe what it is (although looks fun)

I've found that with a few continental events. Awful websites, yet tremendously run events. I suppose they get the important things right, but it isn't always easy to sign up for them.

Did the Passo Rombo last year and it's certainly a tough climb. I wouldn't mind doing this event but am booked up for this year. Maybe next time.
  • I have done some of that over the old Brenner Pass and the climb over the Timmelsjoch is awesome.

BTW Did I mention that I did it on my Triumph 955 and it was still a long day out from Munich!!

I think any one of those climbs would see me off for quite a while, much respect Galatzo
  • I signed up, we'll see if I get in the ballot.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • galatzo
    I signed up, we'll see if I get in the ballot.

Fingers crossed for you.
    Remember there's a second ballot with places advised in May I think. It's how I got on and took me by surprise as I'd forgotten about it and had let up on training a little.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Coolio, I've been accepted now. So long as I pay before the 28th of March I'm guaranteed my place.

I think some training is now in order. Curious if there's some kind of bail-out shorter loop but i'm not banking on it. I think this is a one size fits all event?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • galatzo
    Coolio, I've been accepted now. So long as I pay before the 28th of March I'm guaranteed my place.

I think some training is now in order. Curious if there's some kind of bail-out shorter loop but i'm not banking on it. I think this is a one size fits all event?

No escape routes just the bus of shame if you need it :oops:

Looking forward to your pain mate !

If you need to know anything let me know.
  • Ok, this was hard. The weather was great, none of the snow nor rain nor cold of some previous years.

I really liked the organization and the other riders, they were quite friendly and willing to ride together to share the work.

The Timmelsjoch/Rombo was a beast - the bottom in St Leonardo/Moso was like riding in a furnace (over 30C) but the top was much better when the breeze kicked in.

I *might* do it again.