Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 - rear dropouts?

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited September 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
This is probably just a completely daft question, but as the bike arrived with the rear installed and we've not had a puncture yet, we hadn't had any reason to investigate the rear dropouts / axel / QR on the new bike.

Told son to clean things up properly, and advised him to remove the rear wheel to get to some of those more stubborn locations.

Then noticed that there are no "normal" dropouts at the rear - i.e. there isn't a gap at the bottom, so the QR skewer needs removing in full.

But then when this was removed, the wheel wouldn't "drop out". After much head scratching, it seemed to me that the only way to remove the wheel was to prise the rear assembly apart by a few mm to allow the axel to drop out.

Is this the right approach?

The Canyon website says
Canyon Through Axle
The Canyon Through Axle system delivers maximum rigidity to the rear wheel with its 12 mm through axle. Unlike other through axle systems, the rear wheel is mounted fully on the dropout which means that the wheel is quicker and easier to fit and remove.
Please note: The Nerve AL 6.0 is equipped with a standard quick release at the rear contrary to what appears in the photo.

Cheers for any help. And, does this imply that a through axle could be fitted to the 6.0, or would a new wheel be required?
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So the website has a photo of a through axle, a description of a through axle and then a note saying it's a standard QR? Not their finest moment!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Sounds similar to the DT Swiss RWS on my Trance, QR sized but essentially bolt through.

By any chance can the Nerve be converted to 142x12?
  • larkim
    The Rookie wrote:
    So the website has a photo of a through axle, a description of a through axle and then a note saying it's a standard QR? Not their finest moment!
    Well, the frame is as pictured, but instead of the through axle its a standard hub / QR.

I presume this means with the right hub at the rear, a through axle could be accommodated.

Am I right in my presumption that a little flex of the rears is the right way to let the wheel drop out?
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    yes, you are spot on, remove the QR and flex the rear open a little. confused me the first time i had to do it.

IIRC you can pop one side of the axle out easier and once it is out, the other comes out easily
  • larkim
    Excellent, cheers - that's what we did in the end, and you're right, doing the non-drive side first seemed to make it easier.

As a colleague just pointed out to me, it makes sense that it just doesn't drop out like that as if it did just fall out straight away after removing the QR skewer it could cause some problems when up in a bike stand or similar.

Matt
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    cool
  • Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but my question relates to this. I also have a Nerve AL 6.0 (current model) and find rear wheel removal a pain. In a stand it is very difficult. It is a bit easier if the bike is upside-down on the floor, but now I have a dropper lever I'm reluctant to do this in case I cause damage to it.

I'm thinking about getting the parts to convert to a through axle. I know I need a different hanger (or do I?), a Syntace axle and obviously a different rear wheel (or a modified rear hub if this is possible), but is there anything else? If so, can I get hold of this part from Canyon? Has anyone done this?

I'm not thinking for doing this straight away, but down the line if/when I get new wheels, I would like to upgrade, so want to buy any frame specific parts now while they are still available.

Many thanks
  • larkim
    The only part I can answer is that you'd definitely need a new hanger - the one on the 6.0 is specific to that model with its peculiar arrangement of a QR in a through axel style.

Be interested to hear how you get on with the conversion as its something we might do at some point.

Here's a link to the tech diagram for the 2015 model (may well be the same as the 2016 as I think they just changed specs of forks etc etc) - you can see the different part arrangements for the through axel model versions 7.0 and above.

https://www.canyon.com/downloads/suppor ... BOM_ts.pdf
  • Many thanks - at least that diagram gives a name to the part which I can request from them (part 28 on there "DO Chip"). I'll update here if/when I do this. :)
  • If anyone has come across this searching on how to convert from the QR dropouts on their Canyon Nerve to a 12mm thru bolt then I am here to help!! It involves contacting Canyon and this in itself can drive a sane person to distraction but in the end its worth it. You'll need to order two parts from canyon, they are Hanger no.27 item no. A1038715 and 12mm Through Axle kit including washer, chip and nut item no. A1040927. When you get them the hanger and dropout chip are easy to do on the drive side, the QR adapter on the non drive or brake caliper side of the frame has to be removed, on some models this is simply done by pushing it through but on other models its threaded and you'll need to get hold of a 12mm (minimum) slot head bit or screwdriver and unscrew it, then you just pop through the through axle and tighten. Obviously you have to sort out your wheels to 12/142, with the original kit on the bike the original hanger makes the axle 135mm QR, with the new hanger its 142mm axle so you'll need suitable wheels or adapters for the wheels you have. Hope this helps.
  • larkim
    That's really helpful for reference thanks. Front has gone to a through axle already (son borked his fork lowers on his rebas and we could only find lowers with a through axle as a replacement) so at some point a rear change might be on the cards.
  • Hello.
    Sorry for resurrecting this old post. Is there any other way to convert to the 12mm axle? I have the hanger no 27, but not the nut part into which the axle threads in (i guess). I've been trying to contact canyon through email, but no success.
  • Hello, vajdans!

Did you solve your problem somehow? Contact to canyon is useless :(