Majorca, Recommended cycling companies?

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,474
edited May 2015 in Road general
Hi,

I fancy some warm sun on my bones and Im looking into the possibilities of a week in Majorca.

There's plenty of choice on the net but other than a crudders weekend away in the lakes or Wales this is something I've not done so I'd appreciate your views on taking my own bike?

I'm no racing snake and variable ride options on a daily basis would be ideal?

Thanks in advance.
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    With enough notice you can hire some really nice bikes for around e160 for 7 days, we hire bikes, take cabin baggage only and hire a car, the routes are easily down loaded from various sites and its not complicated to find your way around.
    We have always based ourselves in P/Pollensa
    Taking your bike means you need a bike box and the extra flight costs and i m always scared it wont turn up or get damaged.
    for a guided option several people i know have used this guy and recommend;
    http://stuarthallcycling.co.uk/mallorca ... ning-camps and we are again hiring bikes from these people http://www.2gocycling.com/index.php
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    bikehead.se I think, good prices some nice bikes
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • theory900
    theory900 Posts: 385
    Andy Cook - lovely guy:
    http://www.andycookcycling.com

May be a bit late for this year though
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    Could also do with some help I'm going out to Mallorca mid May, staying in Palma nova if anyone can recommend a hire place in that area or who can supply a bike to that area
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • tourdriving
    tourdriving Posts: 228
    Try those links www.bicicletaspepe.com/bicicletas.htm 07181 Magaluf/Palma Nova (ROAD-MTB) http://www.stephenroche.com/bike-rental 07181 Son Caliu-Palma nova

More on Spain hire see https://tourdriving.wordpress.com/spain/
    https://tourdriving.wordpress.com bike hire and travel links, in 47 countries http://ukbikerentals.com UK Bike & Motorcycle hire in Counties after ABC
  • Slowmart wrote:
    Hi,

I fancy some warm sun on my bones and Im looking into the possibilities of a week in Majorca.

There's plenty of choice on the net but other than a crudders weekend away in the lakes or Wales this is something I've not done so I'd appreciate your views on taking my own bike?

Thanks in advance.

Hi - where are you looking at staying? We have some good recommendations if you still need.
  • "Hi, I'd like to hire a bike for a week in April"

2016?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Slowmart wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks in advance.

If you want something a bit different, staying in unique, very nice accommodation, eating in good restaurants, and riding some of the best routes Mallorca has to offer, check us out (see link below).
  • gog555
    gog555 Posts: 63
    I've got a bike booked and now will be looking for some rides. I would prefer a organised ride. As I don't know the roads. I'm staying in Puerto
    Pollensa .
  • gog555 wrote:
    I've got a bike booked and now will be looking for some rides. I would prefer a organised ride. As I don't know the roads. I'm staying in Puerto
    Pollensa .

Have you asked the shop where you are hiring?
  • Rides from Tolos every morning at 9. Good way of finding your way around
  • dortmunder
    dortmunder Posts: 101
    Could also do with some help I'm going out to Mallorca mid May, staying in Palma nova if anyone can recommend a hire place in that area or who can supply a bike to that area

Stephen Roche Holidays are based in Palmanova. Can't recommend highly enough. A great bunch of people. We went last Easter and are going again in a fortnight
  • If it would help anyone, we have had 673 people vote so far on our Facebook poll - "Best Bike Hire in Mallorca" :D . https://www.tramuntanacycling.com/en/blog/item/the-best-mallorca-bike-rentals
    best-mallorca-bike-rental.jpg
  • meast
    meast Posts: 19
    Just got back from a week in Mallorca. We used Pollensa Cycling.

Can't fault them really.Bikes arrived dead on time at our villa, they all looked pretty much brand new.

Had a little problem with one of the bikes after a few days and they replaced it straight away.

Definitely recommend them.
  • Hi all

I too am heading out in July (More a holiday with the Mrs) but hoping to get some early rides in for a couple of days... I was originally looking at Pollensa Cycling, but have been turned by the bikes on offer at Pro Cycle hire...

Does anyone know what the Massi Pro Ultegra bike is like, in comparison to say the Kuota bikes that Pollens hire out...

Never gonna ride a bike of my own with full deep carbon rims so thought I'd give them a go out there... See what all the fuss is about :D
  • Never gonna ride a bike of my own with full deep carbon rims so thought I'd give them a go out there... See what all the fuss is about :D

They'll be perfect on those gusty descents
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    If it would help anyone, we have had 673 people vote so far on our Facebook poll - "Best Bike Hire in Mallorca" :D . https://www.tramuntanacycling.com/en/blog/item/the-best-mallorca-bike-rentals

I think I was in your shop last week, a friendly woman agreed to change some cleats for one of the boys with some really stinky shoes ~ Good Service.

And if so the Trek Emonda range you had outside looked very nice.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • Never gonna ride a bike of my own with full deep carbon rims so thought I'd give them a go out there... See what all the fuss is about :D

Seriously...??? Never been to Mallorca before... Is it renown for being windy out there??
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Never gonna ride a bike of my own with full deep carbon rims so thought I'd give them a go out there... See what all the fuss is about :D

Seriously...??? Never been to Mallorca before... Is it renown for being windy out there??

Can be, especially near the coast (and being a relatively small island, nowhere is that far from the coast!), not too much to worry about though, I've always used 50mm rims out there (been out at various times between February and April) and they've been perfectly rideable
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    There are better places than pro cycle hire in my opinion - max hurzuler CUBE bikes or Balear Riesen CANYON bikes
  • JackPozzi wrote:

Can be, especially near the coast (and being a relatively small island, nowhere is that far from the coast!), not too much to worry about though, I've always used 50mm rims out there (been out at various times between February and April) and they've been perfectly rideable

Yes it can be. I live here and I ride 50mm rims between May and January - but the other months , it tends to be gusty rather than consistent especially Feb/March so I take the safety first approach.

Little known fact - best motor boating month is December because of the lack of wind :-)
  • If it would help anyone, we have had 673 people vote so far on our Facebook poll - "Best Bike Hire in Mallorca" :D . https://www.tramuntanacycling.com/en/blog/item/the-best-mallorca-bike-rentals

I think I was in your shop last week, a friendly woman agreed to change some cleats for one of the boys with some really stinky shoes ~ Good Service.

And if so the Trek Emonda range you had outside looked very nice.

Aah - I think you are confusing us with the excellent Tramuntana Tours - we are just a bunch of people who run a site and Facebook page providing info and pics on our wonderful island - bit sad I know :-)

The Trek's on offer are good. Brand new.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I'm popping my Majorca cherry tomorrow. When Easyjet lose my bike, i'll be sure to darken your doorways.
  • JackPozzi wrote:

Yes it can be. I live here and I ride 50mm rims between May and January - but the other months , it tends to be gusty rather than consistent especially Feb/March so I take the safety first approach.

Little known fact - best motor boating month is December because of the lack of wind :-)

So in July, 50mm rims should be ok...??? Only hoping to ride a few days, early in the mornings... Thx :D
  • So in July, 50mm rims should be ok...??? Only hoping to ride a few days, early in the mornings... Thx :D

Yes, you will be fine. 99/100 in the early mornings in July.

Enjoy.
  • Thx tramuntanacycling... I'm now going to ask some stupid Qs, having not done any cycling abroad, but are little things like bottles etc. thrown in with bike hire on the island??? or do you need to bring your own out with you??? I'm assuming you can buy gels and bars etc. in the shops...???

Also, are you able to get Garmins for the bikes or is it preferable to bring your own out...???? as I don't really want to talk all the stuff off of my bike at home...?????

Thx in advance mate...
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Thx tramuntanacycling... I'm now going to ask some stupid Qs, having not done any cycling abroad, but are little things like bottles etc. thrown in with bike hire on the island??? or do you need to bring your own out with you??? I'm assuming you can buy gels and bars etc. in the shops...???

Also, are you able to get Garmins for the bikes or is it preferable to bring your own out...???? as I don't really want to talk all the stuff off of my bike at home...?????

Thx in advance mate...

In my experience, although bottles are sometimes included with the bike, not always - I ended up having to buy one at the shop once.

However, they usually come with a puncture repair kit.

Gels etc. all available in the shops in Majorca, but you'll probably get a better deal buying bulk before you leave....

Makes sense to bring your own Garmin; you can just unclip it and bring the bungee mount.

With a name like 'alpinaddict' I'm surprised you've not ridden abroad before!
  • Thx tramuntanacycling... I'm now going to ask some stupid Qs, having not done any cycling abroad, but are little things like bottles etc. thrown in with bike hire on the island??? or do you need to bring your own out with you??? I'm assuming you can buy gels and bars etc. in the shops...???

Thx in advance mate...

In my experience, although bottles are sometimes included with the bike, not always - I ended up having to buy one at the shop once.

However, they usually come with a puncture repair kit.

Gels etc. all available in the shops in Majorca, but you'll probably get a better deal buying bulk before you leave....

Makes sense to bring your own Garmin; you can just unclip it and bring the bungee mount.

With a name like 'alpinaddict' I'm surprised you've not ridden abroad before!

Thx dude... All really helpful... I have this username on another forum (snowheads) and it is more indicative of my love for winter sports in the Alps... Figured I'd repurpose it on here :) I have ridden in the Alps but took my own bike out...

It is more a case I have never ridden aboard and had to rely on hiring everything :) However come July 18th, that will all change and getting really excited at testing myself on some nice climbs out there... Although I'm still receiving from a dislocated ankle and badly broken leg, so I will need to gauge how I go when out there...

Thx again for your help...
  • Irohug5
    Irohug5 Posts: 74
    Anyone ever used http://www.bikeexperiencemallorca.com/en/ ? Booked 6 bikes for a few of us in a few weeks. They were really helpful and knowledgeable back in October when we were booking but have tried calling/ sent a few emails over last week or so to check some details and try to add a bike to the booking but no reply at all so slightly worried now and wondering whether we need to look for a back up. Paid a 20% deposit but through PayPal so hopefully could claim that back if need be.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Irohug5 wrote:
    Anyone ever used http://www.bikeexperiencemallorca.com/en/ ? Booked 6 bikes for a few of us in a few weeks. They were really helpful and knowledgeable back in October when we were booking but have tried calling/ sent a few emails over last week or so to check some details and try to add a bike to the booking but no reply at all so slightly worried now and wondering whether we need to look for a back up. Paid a 20% deposit but through PayPal so hopefully could claim that back if need be.
    Used them last September, they were fine.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR