Etape Royale (proposed Aberdeenshire sportive)

bobmcstuff
bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
edited September 2015 in Sportives/audaxes/training rides
http://www.etaperoyale.com/

Proposed 100 mile sportive through Aberdeenshire from Ballater including the Lecht north to south. Planned for 27 September so potential for some "weather" over the Lecht.

Hoping it gets allowed and isn't too expensive as those routes on closed roads would be fun (no power rangers to worry about!), especially the descent of the steep side of the Lecht!

Comments

• htsw5
    htsw5 Posts: 72
    Looks an interesting route.

Does it need to be closed roads though? 3 Pistes goes the other way over the Lecht and worked fine on open roads.

Don't get me wrong I like closed roads but unless the field is huge or on busy roads then the benefits seem to be outweighed by the earlier start, higher costs and more annoyed locals.
  • bobmcstuff
    I doubt it *needs* to be on closed roads but given there is already the 3 Pistes and the KOM Sportive (http://www.komsportive.co.uk/100-mile.html) in that area, the USP of having closed roads is probably good for them.
  • bobmcstuff
    Just got the "early" entry option through.

They want £70 for entry!! Um. No thanks?
  • htsw5
    htsw5 Posts: 72
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Just got the "early" entry option through.

They want £70 for entry!! Um. No thanks?

That's what I thought and was warning about in my post :roll:
  • bobmcstuff
    You get camping included in that apparently. But I would be driving to the start so wouldn't need it, seems like it should have been an option rather than included in everyone's entry. Electronic timing is probably worth some premium even though I don't really want it personally.

I'm doing the Etape Loch Ness which was IIRC ~£55, which seemed expensive, but to cycle round Loch Ness on closed roads I decided it was worth it (particularly give one of the roads is fast and busy usually, not my cup of tea). £70 seems a little over the odds.

They've got a KOM competition over the Lecht but it's the "wrong" side - the climb from the Cock Bridge side is the classic climb IMO. The climb from the North is steadier and not as scenic.
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    anyone here doing this? I have an entry but beginning to have 2nd thoughts?
    fay ce que voudres
  • bobmcstuff
    Not got entry myself but know a fair few who do. Why the second thoughts? If I had bought entry I'd be doing it. It's a nice route ;)
  • fnb1
    long journey to get there, cost of stay etc, also I think despite being closed roads the field is going to be small so although it may be a dream ride on quiet closed roads atmosphere may be lacking? Will Decide once close enough for a reliable(ish) weather forecast
    fay ce que voudres
  • long journey to get there, cost of stay etc, also I think despite being closed roads the field is going to be small so although it may be a dream ride on quiet closed roads atmosphere may be lacking? Will Decide once close enough for a reliable(ish) weather forecast

Don't base the ride on a reliable(ish) weather forecast - the area has it's own micro climate!!

It's a challenging course set in stunning scenery........I'd do it myself but have a prior arrangement that I can't get out of
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    the climb from the fool Bridge side
    Loving the swear filter...
  • fnb1
    aye, ahnoawabootra weather, just need to decide if I need crampons or not :-)
    fay ce que voudres
  • bobmcstuff
    long journey to get there, cost of stay etc, also I think despite being closed roads the field is going to be small so although it may be a dream ride on quiet closed roads atmosphere may be lacking? Will Decide once close enough for a reliable(ish) weather forecast

Don't base the ride on a reliable(ish) weather forecast - the area has it's own micro climate!!

It's a challenging course set in stunning scenery........I'd do it myself but have a prior arrangement that I can't get out of

I think on 2 of the occasions I've been cycling up the Lecht it has been a pretty nice day in the valleys, sunny spells and everything, but the Lecht was sideways rain/hail and fog. One of the routes we went over the Cabrach after which is pretty exposed, and that was fine as well.

I think with the shape of the valley it's like a wind tunnel.