Upgrade or new bike

markiegrim
markiegrim Posts: 136
edited March 2015 in Road beginners
Hi
I have a Trek 1.5 which cost £700 2 years ago. Its been great, but now thinking of upgrades. Thinking upgrades may be better value than buying a new bike at some point in the possible far distant future when I have a spare ca. £1200-1400.

Trek 1.5 currently has Alpha 100 al frame and Tiagra

On Wiggle can get 105 Group set for £300 and Zonda wheelset for £400

So £700 to upgrade both wheels and Groupset, vs say, £1200-1400 for a new bike

Any thoughts? Is £400 on a wheelset really going to gain me much over the stock Bontrager wheels? Also upgrading means I would still be stuck with the alpha 100 frame - is that so bad?

Thanks

MArkie

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I'm no expert but an upgrade sounds better, as you would maybe not get the wheelset you want on a new bike in the £1200 to £1400 range. You could always upgrade to a better frame later if you want to.
  • What do you perceive to be the shortcomings of what you have?
  • markiegrim
    markiegrim Posts: 136
    What do you perceive to be the shortcomings of what you have?
    I don't perceive any shortcomings...not sure I said as much. Just wanted advice on the upgrade v new bike question. Something I may wish to do in the coming year or two
  • I ask because upgrades are ultimately based on just that; excepting the fact that you can always spend a bit more, and usually you get what you pay for.

But ultimately the bicycle is a composite. Wheels and components swap around. Buying second hand can give you much better value for money, but that also extends to complete bikes - you may get more for your money by buying a complete bike, but you have a choice between good old (and depreciated), and paying full value.

With the above in mind, I'd suggest you spend your money on some good wheels, and upgrade your components on the cheap (including sales), unless all you want is a slightly flashier bike.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    What is this "or"? :mrgreen:

Get a new one *&* upgrade the old one.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Get some decent wheels and tires now and then a new bike when you can/want.
    The new bike will have cr4p wheels on it so so can put the ones you buy now on as soon as you get it.

I would not bother with changing groupset. Put the money towards a new bike.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    I doubt you would see much improvement by changing the group set unless there are some specific problems with the current setup.

Getting new wheels might give a performance improvement, but could also reduce reliability if the new wheels are 'too' lightweight.

I'd start by looking at what tires (and inner tubes) you are currently using. Changing to lighter weight tires and tubs can make a noticeable difference at fairly low cost.
    If the current tires are 'wire bead', then simply switching to 'foldable' will reduce the weight. But make sure the rims have the inside 'hooks' to grab onto the bead of the tire - it would be unusual if they didn't.

A problem with doing piecemeal 'upgrades' is that you then have a bunch of used parts that can be difficult to sell, and aren't of any use to you.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    £400 for Campy Zonda's, must be the 2-way fit version, are you thinking about trying tubless tyres?
  • DCDB
    DCDB Posts: 27
    I decided to upgrade my 2007 Trek 1400 as I wasn't in a position to buy the 'best' bike I wanted yet. I also really enjoy riding my current bike so didn't feel the urge to spend a huge amount (but enough to make the upgrade worthwhile) as the Ali frame and carbon forks are wearing well (plus I like the Discovery Channel paint job). I went for full Ultegra 6800 groupset, 3T compact handlebars and Ultegra 6800 wheels (25mm continental tyres). The upgrade to more modern tech made a huge difference and I know that when I can afford a 'best' bike that I have a great winter trainer.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    markiegrim wrote:
    Hi
    I have a Trek 1.5 which cost £700 2 years ago. Its been great, but now thinking of upgrades. Thinking upgrades may be better value than buying a new bike at some point in the possible far distant future when I have a spare ca. £1200-1400.

Trek 1.5 currently has Alpha 100 al frame and Tiagra

On Wiggle can get 105 Group set for £300 and Zonda wheelset for £400

So £700 to upgrade both wheels and Groupset, vs say, £1200-1400 for a new bike

Any thoughts? Is £400 on a wheelset really going to gain me much over the stock Bontrager wheels? Also upgrading means I would still be stuck with the alpha 100 frame - is that so bad?

Thanks

MArkie

Yes the wheelset is certainly worth the money as the stock Bonrager wheels are shoot. But you would still be stuck with the same alu frame and if you're going to be spending you might as well go carbon.

Personally I would say keep the 1.5 as a winter bike and get something like this http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58RI ... co-edition
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    +1 for the RT58.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Have the same bike and the most effective upgrades for me were the tyres and brakes, both of which were quite poor. Not sure I would upgrade anything unless it wore out after that.