Saris Bones owners in here please!

big_chris-2
big_chris-2 Posts: 2,098
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Getting a new motor next month, Audi A3 Saloon... my current Halfords high-mount rack won't fit so in the market for a new rack.

The Saris Bones seems to fit the bill, just not sure which one. I'm only ever going to carry 2 bikes, but the Bones 2 only has one upper securing arm which looks a bit less stable than the 2 upper arms of the Bones 3 perhaps? Also, my current rack is for 3 bikes but I doubt I'd ever actually get 3 on it due to the space available, so thinking the extra space of the Bones 3 would be a good idea?

Any owners care to weigh in here?
Something...

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I could never get three bikes on the Bones 3 but two bikes fitted on really well. Some full suspension bikes dont fit on it and make sure you put something under the hooks and feet to protect your cars paint.
  • big_chris-2
    So two bikes on the Bones 2 might be a bit of a squeeze then. Their website seems to suggest that the pads that contact the car and the lining inside the straps are designed to protect paintwork all round - is that not the case then?
    Something...
  • rockmonkeysc
    They do leave marks after regular use. Not chips or scratches, just rub marks.
  • big_chris-2
    What did you use to pad them out? Just cloths? I'll get murdered if I mark the car in any way :shock:
    Something...
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    I had a Saris bones 3 bike rack a while ago,was great for HT's but Awful for FS's....I ended up getting rid of it as it was pretty much useless for my Giant Reign,
    Socks on Pedals to save the paintwork was a must....
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    I've the Bones 3 and you can just about get 3 bikes on it however it's a squeeze...fs bikes are difficult on it as are some carbon hard tails with odd/flared shaped tubing. Its a great rack though - secure, fits a multitude of cars and its easy to install and take down, also packs down nice and small.
  • big_chris-2
    I'm getting a Canyon Spectral in XL so there should be enough room to get the top tube onto the Bones. The Mrs has a Boardman hardtail with regular tubing so we should be good to go.

The Bones has an anti-swing clamp on it from what I've seen so it should stop the bikes hitting the car if that's what you're referring to with the socks on pedals?
    Something...
  • rockmonkeysc
    I used to get my Giant Reign on my Bones 3 but it was a large frame so it just cleared the shock, a smaller frame wouldnt have fitted.
  • am7
    am7 Posts: 59
    Is the A3 saloon your runabout? Otherwise why would you choose a boot mounted rack that will scratch both your car and your bikes? Tow bar mounted or roof mounted is the way to go.
  • big_chris-2
    am7 wrote:
    Is the A3 saloon your runabout? Otherwise why would you choose a boot mounted rack that will scratch both your car and your bikes? Tow bar mounted or roof mounted is the way to go.

It's a company car, I change car every 6 months and can't guarantee the next model I'll be getting so I'm not going to buy a tow-bar and rack as it might not fit the next motor.

Not really sure that the Bones 'will' scratch my bike and the car, people have said that it might but if I fit it carefully and hang the bikes right then a million or so other people that have bought them and reviewed them positively must be onto something. I've bought the Bones 3 now so I guess we'll find out at the weekend...
    Something...
  • They do leave marks after regular use. Not chips or scratches, just rub marks.

I know what you mean, I fitted cushioned pads at strategic places (like where the seat tube butts up against the rack arm) which sorted that. I also make sure the frame and pads are clean before fitting the bike. And only put two bikes on the Saris 3.

If that sounds overkill it's because I'm mainly using it for road bikes, you know how delicate they are.
  • big_chris-2
    I'll have a play with it all at the weekend and see what's what.
    Something...
  • tobamory
    tobamory Posts: 101
    Yeah go with roof, I picked up my new Aclass A45 a few months ago and actually got the roof rack thrown in, I then bought two bike racks for it. I just told then I didn't want the paint protection which is a con from the dealers instead I got roof rack.....
  • big_chris-2
    Would love a roof rack but I change car every 6 months so it would get pretty expensive!
    Something...
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    BiG CHRIS wrote:
    Would love a roof rack but I change car every 6 months so it would get pretty expensive!

Not really - the bars and bike racks all stay the same - just change the boots that mount them on the car if necessary.
  • big_chris-2
    How much do new boots cost on average?
    Something...