Stupid problem....cant remove front wheel

Grovsie29
Grovsie29 Posts: 116
edited March 2015 in MTB general
Im a bit stuck with my front wheel. Ive had a change of car and only way I can transport my bike at the mo is getting in the car so I need to take the wheel off, only trouble is I cant work it out lol.

Ive got a trance X4, I upgraded the wheels/hubs 2 years ago with superstar hubs on mavic wheels, and I really got no idea how it works. I built it all together but that was a while ago.

Comments

• iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    I think you should have 15mm through axle, so release the quick release and then the lever you have released fits into a slot in the plastic collar at the base of the quick release, then turn the lever anti clockwise and the spindle will pull out, hope that makes sense, easier to do in real life than try to explain in words.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Yeah but the brake pads... this is why I have the barrel adjuster unscrewed quite a lot. :roll:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    What? Do you mean if you have v-brakes? I'm guessing the OP doesn't, and even if he does you just release them.
  • Grovsie29
    Im also completely changing my break setup so the wheel needs to come off now to change the discs. I still cant work it out. Here are some pics:

s12b0x.jpg
    dvg5lh.jpg
    mhg4ed.jpg
  • Grovsie29
    Cheers, its ok I sorted it basically as soon I posted the pics up, lol, doh. id totally forgotten when I built it, it just unscrews, silly me.

Ive fitted my new Shimano XT M785 brakes and new 180mm ice tec and 160mm rotors, but first impressions are there quite poor. There is a lot of play in the lever before anything happens. I assume they need bleeding better?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Try pumping the levers for a while
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    You've had the bike upside down. My Deore levers need to be pumped a couple of times after the bike's been laid down in the boot of the car, you're levers are probably in the same state.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Giraffoto wrote:
    You've had the bike upside down. My Deore levers need to be pumped a couple of times after the bike's been laid down in the boot of the car, you're levers are probably in the same state.

Your brakes need a bleed. This seems to be the first symptom of a tiny bit of air in the system with shimano brakes. A few pumps and they feel fine but it soon gets worse until they just won't pump up.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools