Buying a van for bikes.

ben@31
ben@31 Posts: 2,327
edited April 2015 in MTB general
I'm thinking of buying a very cheap old van to transport my bikes around.

Question is what size? Corsa, Astra or transit ?

Would a full sus 29er, wheelbase 1140 ( I think 1876.6 total length including wheels???) be too long to fit in the back of a small corsa or astra sized van?

Any recommendations?
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    If you are looking to keep wheels on then Corsa will be too small. Suspect Astra may be tight.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Short answer, no it won't fit.

You'll need a lwb van.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Yeah you won't get one in an Astra van.
    If you want a small van something relatively tall like a Peugeot expert might work and you could tie the bike in upright..
  • I got FS 29er fits in the back of my 2012 peugeot partner/Citroen Berlingo Corner to corner. It was lying on top of my usual work stuff, 18" tall boxes and such.

How about an estate car with the seats folded/removed?

If there comes a time when I lose my work van I'm be getting a commuter/bike transport van. I've been looking at transit connects. Haven't measured up though.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The back of a Corsa van is smaller than the boot of my Mondeo hatchback.
    Transit Connect would be my choice or an old Volkswagon T25 and a Subaru Imprezza WRX Turbo engine conversion but that may be over budget.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    transit with covered bulkhead so no one can see the bike that's worth more than the van inside
  • welshkev
    You'd need a lwb connect as well though. I had a swb for a while and it would fit a 26" diagonally but only just

So try before you buy :)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    welshkev wrote:
    You'd need a lwb connect as well though. I had a swb for a while and it would fit a 26" diagonally but only just

So try before you buy :)

LWB = room for a hooker too
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Bmw 535 or 530d sport estate will be my next car, they are huge. And really really fast.
  • welshkev
    Surf Matt, is that you?
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    Old Volvo v70 estate. Fast for the money, cheap, solid, comfy, great stereo, get a long bike in with no wheels off with all seats folded or at least 2 bikes wheels off all under the parcel shelf with no seats folded for stealth. You could get a t5 engined v70 for very little money with 250bhp, or go diesel (d5) for economy but still decently quick. I used to get 2 bikes diagonally in my mk2 caddy - solid cheap little van if you can find one and nippy in tdi form, also stuck to the road like glue with coilovers, Koni shocks and sporty low profile tyres. Transporters t25's and t4's dont come cheap, nice vans though had a t4 as a daily for a couple of years. I would go with a big estate at a low price point, you could end up with something really quite nice and well specced etc for very little, Volvo is just one example.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    I have a VW T4 but I think a caddy or berlingo would be fine for your needs. Check insurance costs too if you're on a budget, van insurance is more costly than car insurance.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • bobbydeak
    bobbydeak Posts: 49
    Citroen Belingo multispace. Classed as a car but once the seats are down its bigger than most small vans. Also tall enough to stand bikes upright.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't forget that the vast majority of vans will be classed as a commercial vehicle and have to adhere to the lower speed limits (50/60/70 instead of 60/70/70), only car derived and with an MAM of less than 2 tonnes can use car limits, so a 'car' (Estate or mini MPV style) may be preferable from that respect..
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    fizik wrote:
    Old Volvo v70 estate. Fast for the money, cheap, solid, comfy, great stereo, get a long bike in with no wheels off with all seats folded or at least 2 bikes wheels off all under the parcel shelf with no seats folded for stealth. You could get a t5 engined v70 for very little money with 250bhp, or go diesel (d5) for economy but still decently quick. I used to get 2 bikes diagonally in my mk2 caddy - solid cheap little van if you can find one and nippy in tdi form, also stuck to the road like glue with coilovers, Koni shocks and sporty low profile tyres. Transporters t25's and t4's dont come cheap, nice vans though had a t4 as a daily for a couple of years. I would go with a big estate at a low price point, you could end up with something really quite nice and well specced etc for very little, Volvo is just one example.

That's what I have, as you say swallows bikes with ease, took a bike in a box, without a problem.

And is a good motorway/A road cruiser.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Ford Cmax. 2 bikes and 2 people with wheels on and seats down. 3 bikes and 3 people with 1 seat up and wheels off. I reckon with a bit of persuasion and a couple of uncomfortable friends, 4 bikes 4 people is possible, must try one day..

Its fast enough, does 50mpg and has heated seats for post ride bum warming.

Obviously my massive Fiat Ducato is a lot easier when I am riding near work but I can only take it so far (work van)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Two left field choices
    Subaru Forester
    Daihatsu YRV

Both will take a 2 mountain bikes sideways in the boot (wheels off) without even folding the rear seats, the YRV has a great little engine and is quite fun to drive (same Engine as the Aston Martin Cygnet) and fairly economical, the Forester has 4WD and good ground clearance and while they are a bit thirsty, the 2.0 is reasonably brisk while the turbo can be easily made rather mental (my old one produced 400Nm of torque from 2250-4000 rpm and would muller M3's off the line).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    Ford Galaxy? My parents use one and it is like a van in all respects other than it has 7 seats when you want them.. We have had 4 26 inch bikes in the back, no wheels off, 1 seat up in the back row... Awesome :)
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    My mate had citroen picassos for years, he took out the rear seats when he got them and put them back in when he was finished, they all served as great bike busses
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    I got an ex-British Gas Kangoo. Solid bulkhead so loses a bit of load space, but can get at least 3 upright bikes in diagonally with wheels on (one of those is an Alpine 160 so a long bike). Car derived so all good speed limit-wise. 50mpg so not too bad on fuel.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    I just bought a Kangoo Maxi,bikes fit straight in and bought one of the cheap alloy bike stands that take either front of back wheel depending how you pack them,some bungi cords to keep the bikes in place,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie