Altitude training when you want

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy

Froome trying to stay at 5% bodyfat then gettin ill

Tinkov

Sport???

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Superstars generating massive publicity despite only riding once a year.

Crippling your Giro squad to maximise Tour chances.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    T'was ever thus...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    If you list the teams of any of the major European soccer leagues in order of budget you will more or less get their final league positions.

Obviously, a lot of teams will be closely matched, and the low scoring nature of the game means that chance has a higher impact that many other sports which leads to some random outliers, but the principle stands.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ddraver wrote:
    T'was ever thus...

I don't think too many 'serious' contenders for P-R etc are riding around in sedan chairs. Maybe Wiggo isn't serious :shock:
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ddraver
    Again that only makes sense in you head (I assume)
    - @ddraver
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    It will always be this way in cycling won't it.

There are teams who can upset the odds using a "Moneyball" approach to build their team based on a set of skills which the market they operate in undervalues. I can see how this can be applied in sports with more of a skill orientation but either I am too thick to see how that could be applied in cycling or it doesn't really work.

Did Sky do this to an extent with the likes of Kiriyenka for example. Was his ability to ride on the front for kms undervalued previously.

Dunno really, maybe I am just rambling,
  • ddraver
    smithy21 wrote:
    Did Sky do this to an extent with the likes of Kiriyenka for example. Was his ability to ride on the front for kms undervalued previously.

No but , for example, he may have lacked UCI points which would have lowered his value. If you re Sky/Saxo/BMC etc and you can afford a couple of Froomes/berties & sagans/Gilberts etc then that's not a problem. If you re flirting with "relegation" though then it's more of an issue
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,562
    smithy21 wrote:
    It will always be this way in life won't it.

FTFY
  • The_Boy
    ddraver wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:

No but , for example, he may have lacked UCI points which would have lowered his value. If you re Sky/Saxo/BMC etc and you can afford a couple of Froomes/berties & sagans/Gilberts etc then that's not a problem. If you re flirting with "relegation" though then it's more of an issue

I expect the UCI points things would more often lead to riders being overvalued than under. On the flip side I expect - though haven't actually looked so happy to be proved wrong - that some of the minor sprinters are badly undervalued.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • ddraver
    Well, one of the reasons Garmin kept Tyler Farrar on for so long is that coming 5th the whole time brings a shedload of points which measn they can dick about on all the other stages possibly ending up with nothing to show for it...

Riders like Kiri, Cheng, Eisel etc are crucial to good team performances - especially sprint team performances - but probably only earn points by mistake.. if you are a team that does nt have to fill it's roster with points rather than riders than you can "afford" to employ money on a "pointless" Kiri
    - @ddraver
  • The_Boy
    ddraver wrote:
    Well, one of the reasons Garmin kept Tyler Farrar on for so long is that coming 5th the whole time brings a shedload of points which measn they can dick about on all the other stages possibly ending up with nothing to show for it...

Riders like Kiri, Cheng, Eisel etc are crucial to good team performances - especially sprint team performances - but probably only earn points by mistake.. if you are a team that does nt have to fill it's roster with points rather than riders than you can "afford" to employ money on a "pointless" Kiri

Pretty much. Except I would ass that the guys who come with a fistful of points from UCI Asia Tour or whatever rarely last more than one year, and rarely do anything while riding with the bigboys. Which suggests that they are overvalued for that year.