Share your power evolution

speedjunkie
speedjunkie Posts: 69
edited March 2015 in Road beginners
Share, your FTP \ Power evolution, along the years \ months.

Also what kind of training you been doing, or anything that is relevant to the topic

I´ll start, just started to cycle 3 months ago and did my first ftp test some weeks ago

My starting point is 400W 5m \ 308W 20m

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    308W is what I need to do a 20 minute 10.

Point is that power, without reference or focus, is a meaningless metric. This has all the hallmarks of a dick-measuring thread...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill wrote:

Point is that power, without reference or focus, is a meaningless metric. This has all the hallmarks of a dick-measuring thread...

The point of the topic , is to observe the evolution in time vs methods of training.
  • Grill
    Not many beginners (or seasoned cyclists for that matter) have a way of testing power. Seems like this would be better off in the training section...
  • Grill wrote:
    Not many beginners (or seasoned cyclists for that matter) have a way of testing power. Seems like this would be better off in the training section...

My thoughts exactly
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    Beginners with power meters... nice... another way of willy waving as they dick on about being in the 400 watt club when most newbies struggle to do over 25mile as it is.
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    This is my third year riding, still can't see the need for a power meter, couldn't care less how much power I am producing to be honest lol.
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Raced all over Europe, never used a power meter because they don't give prizes for power output.

Probably not going the way you thought it would, I guess...
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    edited March 2015
    Grill wrote:

308w?!??!

Do you weigh about 4kg?

For all those saying 'I don't see the point in a power meter' you've obviously never used one for training. It's night and day for a structured training plan. Yes if you have no clue it's an expensive bike computer, but with the right knowledge (or a coach) it's invaluable.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    DavidJB wrote:
    Grill wrote:

308w?!??!

Do you weigh about 4kg?

Weight doesn't matter on a flat TT...
  • DavidJB
    Slowbike wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    Grill wrote:

308w?!??!

Do you weigh about 4kg?

Duh.

I put out a lot more than 308w and don't get close to 20 on an aero road bike...I wouldn't think a TT bike makes 2/3 min difference on a 10.
  • slowbike
    DavidJB wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    Grill wrote:

308w?!??!

Do you weigh about 4kg?

Duh.

I put out a lot more than 308w and don't get close to 20 on an aero road bike...I get a long 21 doing 370w ...I should obviously get a TT bike...(aware I'll lose some power in TT pos)
    Duh - perhaps you should look at your frontal area, your kit, your wheels etc etc ...

Once rolling, your mass won't play a huge part - unless your mass is causing a huge frontal area.

I can take off a couple of minutes on a 10 going from my normal road bike to a TT setup road bike with aero lid.
  • Grill
    And I did a long 21 at 274w... https://www.strava.com/activities/194801379

Since then I've lowered my CdA quite a bit (which is the most important part) and it will continue to get better if I can shift a bit off my 78kg frame.
  • DavidJB
    Slowbike wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    Grill wrote:

308w?!??!

Do you weigh about 4kg?

Duh.

I put out a lot more than 308w and don't get close to 20 on an aero road bike...I get a long 21 doing 370w ...I should obviously get a TT bike...(aware I'll lose some power in TT pos)
    Duh - perhaps you should look at your frontal area, your kit, your wheels etc etc ...

Once rolling, your mass won't play a huge part - unless your mass is causing a huge frontal area.

I can take off a couple of minutes on a 10 going from my normal road bike to a TT setup road bike with aero lid.

You seem quite offended by weight...are you a pie eating TTr?

I should get a TT bike then a ride 19's
  • Grill
    It's not the bike, it's the position that you can achieve and hold along with all other bits that reduce CdA (skinsuit, helmet, gloves, shoes all play their part).
  • slowbike
    DavidJB wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    Grill wrote:

308w?!??!

Do you weigh about 4kg?

Duh.

You seem quite offended by weight...are you a pie eating TTr?

I should get a TT bike then a ride 19's
    I'm not offended by weight at all - I get beaten by people weighing a lot more and less than me ... I beat a few who weigh more than me and some who weigh less than me ...
    One chap who weighs about the same as me puts out average 10w less power yet he beat me by 40 seconds ... but it's difficult to compare as we've got different power meters, my TT bike is new to me and he knew the course - last year I was consistently faster than him.