Spd cleat position

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited March 2015 in MTB general
Just switched pedals over from flats to spd's, setting up my cleats last night to get a comfortable position the right cleat was about 4mm further back than the left, is this normal? I was wondering if I'd got into bad habits when riding flats and I should push it forward slightly?
I did the ball of the foot and 5mm back thing to set them up, slightly toed in the cleats (I'm duck footed) and then rode up and down the street. The right felt too far forward so I pushed it back a touch.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They should really be the same.....unless you have very weird feet!

Maybe move the left to match the right and see how it feels.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ferrals
    cheers, that's a good idea.
  • I have just been having this conversation with someone at work. I like to have the cleats towards the back of the shoe. It's really down to how comfy you feel. If they feel right, go with it!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    4mm is nothing - many many riders will have left/right foot differences far in excess of 4mm.

I'm the same - the ball of my right foot is slightly further back than my left so I have the cleat slightly back (a couple of mm) also or it feels like I'm pushing on my toes too much. I was amazed that I could tell the difference of only a few mm but it was very very clear.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Ferrals
    Cheers.

I spent an hour trying to get them right at lunch, ended up moving the further forward one back, as my calves felt odd to start with. They are now more or less the same, I think the back one could come back a mill or so but I will ride a bit more before deciding.
  • I have some old shoes at the min for my new bike. My new 5 10's are due tomorrow so I will have a proper play with positioning when they come.

Its all trial and error at the end of the day.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    The Rookie wrote:
    They should really be the same.....unless you have very weird feet!

Maybe move the left to match the right and see how it feels.

Eh? No, that's not at all true (assuming you re measuring on the shoe). Cleat slots, marks etc are never consistent between shoes and even then youre feet will be slightly different. It is very rare that the position will be the same.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ferrals
    mmacavity wrote:

Switching from flats to spds has knocked 10-20s off my time on climbs according to strava with no extra effort on my part, and i haven't started pulling up on the pedals either so I just don't buy the flats are better (for xc) concept.

Fair bit of trial and error but they seem to be in the right place now, only 1mm or so difference (based on the slots)