Cleaner / degreaser

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited March 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm used to using hope sh1t shifter, but it's quite pricey.

Does anyone use car traffic film remover? It seems to degrease and clean same as bike sprays and it can be found cheaper

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do you want a cleaner/light degreaser or a full on degreaser?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mathematics
    mathematics Posts: 453
    Cleaner/light degreaser...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Water
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    so I don't have to start a new topic, is there a less expensive option to clean chains ?

I want to clean my chain and cassette before giving squirt a try as had enough of the mess wet lube creates and like the idea of a cleaner drivetrain.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    only every so often. Put white spirit in a container, pop in chain and shake. Rinse and lube thoroughly and completely dry. Then lube again after the next ride. You can run the old sprit through coffee filter to bring it back from sludge.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    i use paraffin (about £6/gallon), could also use petrol/diesel.

i use a brush to apply then rinse off with water
  • dynebaruk
    dynebaruk Posts: 75
    I use the one made by Muc Off and it works great. It's £5 in Wilkinsons at the moment, along with a few other bike cleaning products...
  • jim55
    jim55 Posts: 93
    White spirit
  • Mattharrier
    Mattharrier Posts: 173
    I'm currently skint, and can't really afford to buy any Juice Lubes degreaser. However, having seen what the stuff can do (by which I mean, how much easier it makes cleaning my bike), I really don't want to use just water and elbow grease. What is the best option for paupers? Car shampoo? Lemon juice/white wine vinegar or something similar in water? I'm after a general spray on cleaner and degreaser, rather than something to clean my chain up.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Take one used household mist sprayer, put in some floor cleaner or washing-up liquid, fill with water, bobs yer uncle.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Never been convinced about bike specific cleaner until I got a bundle of Muc Off products free with new bike. The Muc Off cleaner works brilliantly if the bike has been previously sprayed with the Bike Spray which puts some sort of coating to release crap. So it's cleaner first then refresh the Bike Spray every other wash or so. Not used their Chain Cleaner yet.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    For a general cleaner Turtle Wax Zip Wax - 5l tub from Halfords lasts years. Finish Line Grunge Brush with washing up liquid to do the chain in situe, takes seconds
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Use Squirt and you'll rarely have to clean your chain, if ever.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Doesn't really help the rest of your bike!

I still find I need to clean the bike too, although it is an excellent lube.