Full custom build gravel tourer

mikenetic
mikenetic Posts: 486
edited March 2015 in Your road bikes
Hello!

I've posted a couple of builds in the past, and I've just completed my latest one. It's probably best described as a gravel-capable fast tourer. I'll jot together a journey of how I got from this:

9677e628-b5f0-4ca7-b4dc-ffa76143903c_zpsqefanjgi.jpg

Via this:

IMG_20140815_102723_zpse07oqgvi.jpg

To this:

IMG_20150301_101950_zpszmuyzlca.jpg

I'm always up for comments from other people who are making bikes, and more than happy to try to answer questions about custom frame building.

Comments

• Looks great! More details on the build please.
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Fab! details please.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I too would love to hear about how you specced and built the frame.
  • LEY8R
    LEY8R Posts: 11
    In my opinion,you have a great feel for design flow and aesthetics.Much in evidence in all your builds.Very inspiring.
  • mikenetic
    I'll describe the bike over a few posts, as otherwise this will get pretty lengthy!

It was designed and built for my better half, who is a pretty keen cyclist. She has a Condor Fratello, but given the style of riding she likes, wanted something with bigger tyres, that was lighter and had disc brakes plus mudguards. Luggage duty is normally a Carradice saddlebag, but it needed to be able take a rear rack too.

That set some parameters around the spec. I decided to use Paragon Machine Works low-mount rear dropouts; they place the caliper on the chainstay, allowing you to run a normal rack and mudguards. You can see the caliper installed here on a 140mm rotor. There's decent clearance, it would be even bigger with a 160mm disc.

IMG_20150130_112651_zpskp7jpspg.jpg

I wanted a full-carbon fork that had mudguard eyelets. I went for the Whisky No.7 which is a tapered fork. This led me to the headset selection, a Hope Pick and Mix, with the lower external cup and an inset upper cup, running within a 44mm inside diameter head tube. This is a light, stiff and strong setup.

I used TRP Spyre brakes, as I think they perform brilliantly and have a very compact profile, reducing clearance problems.

Mudguards are Portland Design Works Full Metal Fenders. They look good, are very long for coverage and are stiff and stable. Importantly the front guard only needs a single stay, so there's no faffing about bending them over and around the caliper. You can see how clean the setup is here.

IMG_20150130_130313_zpskuthevcy.jpg

I'll go through some specifics of the frame build in the next post.
  • mikenetic
    The frame itself wasn't too tricky, as I've built a few now. I checked clearances for tyres and cranks as I went, I've found it best to use the actual parts, and where possible to do a partial assembly prior to sending the frame for paint.

IMG_20141010_172838_zpsni7kjgwa.jpg

IMG_20141023_171112_zpsajime4df.jpg

One thing that did show up was that the new Shimano 6800 front mechs long arm will clash on mudguards in some configurations. I used a Dremel to carve a small slot in the mudguard to accommodate that.

IMG_20150130_154323_zpsybu2tsm6.jpg

The cable routing is a new system for me, but it works well. They are external clamps that lock the cable outers in place. Works really well, it does mean that you have to add in-line cable adjusters for the front mech tension, but that's no big deal.

IMG_20141114_133531_zpsn5rmh9y6.jpg

Brazing and head badge polishing. The head badge is stainless steel, so it's polished prior to paint, and masked throughout that process.

IMG_20140823_152326_zps5b9mdczs.jpg

IMG_20141128_115809_zps7bho3gvn.jpg
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Beautiful! Love the finish on the welds.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • mikenetic
    Cheers!

Once the frame was complete then it was off to paint. Went for a three-colour wet paint scheme. Flat black, flat white and an aged copper highlight, plus a clear coat of gloss lacquer to get it nice and shiny. Here's the finished article.

IMG_20150223_195632_zps9ub2ilhu.jpg

IMG_20150223_195435_zpsf3koegyu.jpg

IMG_20150301_112741_zps0cpzp8y8.jpg

IMG_20150301_113412_zpsyadpewzt.jpg
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Whats the Tubing. The whole build looks excellent. Great attention to detail ( like the cut out for the front mech on the guard).

Looks like Dave Masons bikes coming out. Although your clearances look better and frame angles slacker.

Love it. Do you do commissions?
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Lovely looking bike.
  • woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    Looking good Mike.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • mikenetic
    edited March 2015
    Thanks everyone!

Woolwich, used your tip of running a cylinder honing tool inside the seat tube to get rid of scratches, works like a charm.

Tim, the tubing is Columbus Zona, which is pretty light and comes in lots of profiles. I think the bare frame was about 1550 grams, which isn't too bad.

Head tube is slacker than a standard road bike. I wanted nice stable handling given the use it's intended for. It's set at 71.5 degrees, which also helps a little with toe overlap.
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    that is a bl00dy great build... :mrgreen:
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Literally beautiful.

The colour scheme is great, and the tubing is really complimented by the HD son rims to give a cool modern edge to it all.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • How much would you charge for a frame build? My wife has some very bespoke wants from a bike at the moment, and i'd be keen to surprise her for her birthday!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    That really is nice, very impressive. I like the idea of full outers under the bottom bracket.
  • A great bike, but I am curious as to whether it is lighter than a Condor Fratello, which was one of the aims.
    I have both a Fratello and a Salsa Vaya in a similar set up to yours (big tyres, discs guards), but the Vaya is quite a bit heavier.
    I have pondered how to get a lighter touring bike with bigger tyres and discs , but haven't found one yet!
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Mike check your PM's
  • mikenetic
    A great bike, but I am curious as to whether it is lighter than a Condor Fratello, which was one of the aims.
    I have both a Fratello and a Salsa Vaya in a similar set up to yours (big tyres, discs guards), but the Vaya is quite a bit heavier.
    I have pondered how to get a lighter touring bike with bigger tyres and discs , but haven't found one yet!

Hi John

We did a weight test by holding both bikes while standing on some pretty accurate scales, and this bike is about 600 grams lighter than the Fratello. I think that's come through a set of small savings across the tubeset, finishing kit, groupset and wheels.

That was with them both specced up ready to ride, so pedals and bottle cages. So it is possible, it's about component choice, really.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Beautiful, just beautiful.
  • mikenetic wrote:
    A great bike, but I am curious as to whether it is lighter than a Condor Fratello, which was one of the aims.

Hi John

We did a weight test by holding both bikes while standing on some pretty accurate scales, and this bike is about 600 grams lighter than the Fratello. I think that's come through a set of small savings across the tubeset, finishing kit, groupset and wheels.

That was with them both specced up ready to ride, so pedals and bottle cages. So it is possible, it's about component choice, really.

Hi Mike
    That's good news. You have mentioned the fork and gears, but I'm not sure of the wheel specs, or the finishing kit. Can you let me know please.
  • mikenetic
    Hi John

Stem is a 3T Arx Pro
    Handlebar is a 3T Ergosum
    Seatpost is Fizik Cyrano R3 (love the saddle adjustment system on the post)
    Saddle Bontrager Affinity RL
    Wheels are H Plus Son 32H front and rear, Sapim race spokes laced to Hope Evo 2 hubs
    Arundel mandible carbon cages, which are a little bit bling but work very well!