Planet x London road brief , very brief review

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
So after shedding a few tears about loosing out on the PX 20 % discount code , it is with joy that I can inform you all that I acquired one and are now the proud owner of Zesty green London road including sks mudguards and a carbon set post for the princely sum of £835 !
Two weeks and over 300 miles later I can tell you that if your commute is rough potholed roads , gravel tracks and the odd smooth tarmac section , you like hilly 50 plus road weekend rides , then this is the (winter) bike for you.
regrds
ILG

Comments

• csb
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • odh
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    mfi
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    dfs
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    std
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    WTF is it with all the 3 letter acronyms??

Well I for one am jolly pleased to hear that you're happy with your shiny new bike. I was quite taken by the pics of the London Road especially in that luminous green. Were I in the market for a winter bike I think it would be quite close to the top of my short list.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    One of my PX bikes has Tubeo Linear Aerodynamico or something.

I think they're just taking the pee - TLA ?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I f-ing hate tla's
  • ilovegrace
    keef66 wrote:

Well I for one am jolly pleased to hear that you're happy with your shiny new bike. I was quite taken by the pics of the London Road especially in that luminous green. Were I in the market for a winter bike I think it would be quite close to the top of my short list.
    Praise the Lord , a sensible reply , appreciate that.
    regards
    ILG
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    keef66 wrote:

I love the fact that you used a 3 letter acronym when asking what all the 3 letter acronyms are all about. :D

EDIT: Thread is useless without pictures.
  • ilovegrace
    [
    EDIT: Thread is useless without pictures.[/quote]
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV ... -road-bike
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    What was it like dealing with PX? I;ve read some nightmares and some good comments but it seems that they have more negative feedback recent years than previous years. I'm looking at my first online bike purchase and kind of get put off by the negative comments about customer service. Plus they are slow replying to my enquiry email.
  • cougie
    I've three PX bikes - never had an issue with them or their service.

If you can get to the showrooms - its definitely worth the trip. Lots of shiny stuff.
  • tangled_metal
    Not easy since I don't get much time with my young son as it is so weekends are precious time to spend with him. It's not a short journey for me to get to Manchester store and then I would have to go back to collect unless I get the delivery.

When you last went, did the store stock the bikes in different sizes to try out? I'm quite tall so am expecting the largest size to be just about good enough (I'm usually at the top end of the range for the largest bikes most brands supply). Noone ever stocks my size in a bike I would want.

I've read quite a few comments about money being taken out of accounts and the orders (for parts like tyres) to be down as pending for 10 days or more. Then the customers are unable to get through to someone or get replies or answers on the order status. Then when they cancel they get told the order is being processed and might already have gone out. These are the sorts of things I worry about. Ordering a bike then sitting with a pending status and unable to find out what is happening.

The stock levels for the bike I want state 19 in stock but I know of a lot of sites who don't update their stock levels on their sites so this could be old news and it is out of stock. I'm very cynical when it comes to several hundreds of pounds spends.

On the other hand the London Road argento Tiagra bike is better than anything I can find for my needs. Closest is the Pinnacle Arkose with lower spec and £50 more (but £50 of free kit and 5% discount through cashback via Quidco with the right Evans voucher).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Green one looks nice.
  • cougie
    I rang ahead to make sure that they had a bike in my size there for me. My mate is 6'3" and his PX fitted him just fine. A stealth TT.

If you google anything online you'll see far more complaints than satisfied people. After all - if all goes well - you're off out playing on your bike rather than sitting at a keyboard with no bike to take your mind off things.

If customer service is really important to you - go to your local bike shop and then you can take it there easily. You'll pay extra for it though. Its up to you.

What about Wheelbase ? Aren't they near you ?
  • tangled_metal
    Wheelbase are great for trek biked (overpriced), kona, (overpriced querky), Cannondale (nice but seem to be more competitive edged not leisure form of CXers) and the odd Genesis CdF/TdF/Croix de Fer/etc (at least £850 for anything good). I like the shop but I get the distinct impression unless you're buying a MTB or an expensive bike you are not going to find anything there. At least not with bang for your limited bucks. The same is true with Biketreks in Ambleside IMHO.

I think I am stuck with Evans or PX or Halfords. How I have fallen in the world. 25 years ago i got my first road bike, a mid range Raleigh in the LBS that was when Raleigh was still on the edge of OK and hadn't quite slipped off the radar of those with decent money to spend.
  • ilovegrace
    Good evening Chaps
    As the OP i thought I should offer my PX experience .
    I was worried about ordering on line so I decided to take a day of work and traveled the Four plus hour round trip to try the bike myself.
    Glad I did, PX staff both internet , and shop were/are very good.
    I rang a few days in advance to make sure a bike my size was in and of we went.
    Three days later as per PX promised , bike was delivered. a few tweaks and ready to ride.
    I have gone down the Zesty 11 speed sram route and over 500 miles later love it.
    As for after sales.
    I have experienced an issue with the front disc brake and was told I could bring it back in for adjustment (to far) or take to a LBS and PX will pay.
    If a PX bike fits and meets your needs why pay any more ?
    regards
    ILG