Advice for all-rounder wheelset?

kenong
kenong Posts: 21
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Currently there are 3 sets that I'm pondering on.

1. Shimano Dura Ace 9000 C24 CL (USD$695)
2. Fulcrum Racing Zero (2015 model) (USD$860)
3. FarSports 38mm (25mm width, U shaped) (USD$661)

My bike is on Mavic Aksium right now. The routes I cycle is varied, climbs and flats plenty. I'm around 74kg.

Cant seem to decide on which one...

The C24 seems a bit dated, having launched in early 2013. They are least stiff among these 3 but quite comfortable, reviews claim. Hub is good but the spokes are a bit hard to find if one broke.

FR0 is just launched but their design hasnt changed much. Rim width is still quite narrow like the C24. Much harsher ride but this wheel has a good resale value if I change wheels again.

The custom wheels from China looks good on paper. Reliability is doubtful and warranty issue will be a bit tricky as it is not from LBS. Shape and design is nice comparing among these 3 sets yet the hub, carbon material and some of the horror stories online pretty much hamper my decision here. Being carbon wheels and myself living in a tropical country, it's a bit tricky but I only ride when it's dry tarmac.

Which is the better choice from these 3 sets?

Comments

• Zero is the best all rounder of the three
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited February 2015
    carbon wheels are not all round wheels, they are your second set of wheels.

The fulcrums would be a good choice but so would a build using a cheaper alloy rim and a good set of hubs like dura ace 9000. You will spend less and get similar performace.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Racing Zeros all day long!
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    One wheel riding harsher than another is a myth. I certainly wouldn't use full carbon wheels as all-round, general use wheels.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    DKay wrote:
    One wheel riding harsher than another is a myth.

It's not... those big aluminium spokes are very unforgiving
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Ugo is describing sound absorbsion. Sound is vibration you can feel that. Wheels with steel spokes tend not to have this problem.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    So it's a feel, resonance frequency issue, but nothing to actually do with one wheel deflecting longitudinally more than another, which is what I was referring to. I do understand how NVH could be perceived as one wheel riding more 'harsh' than another though. However, the perceived ride quality difference from one wheel to another would be the last thing on my list of criteria. Tyre model, size and pressure makes far more difference in terms of ride quality.
  • kenong
    kenong Posts: 21
    Thanks for the advice!

I was going for Shimano C24 but at the last minute the LBS gave me some discounts on the FRZ...

So I went for the FRZ 2015 that comes with new design of QRs and 2 wheel bags.

Took it up for a 15km up hill for my first ride, very impressed with the wheelset. It is a lot more comfortable than my original Mavic Aksium One.

Rolling is much quicker and off saddle effort is rewarded with quick acceleration. In fact, I am still getting used to the handling as it is pretty light compared to my old wheels, so rocking my bike left & right is a bit "quicker?". Cornering is stable and I can feel the wheels planted on the tarmac on cornering-descent.

Compared to carbon wheels that I had tried (from friend), it is not as super stiff and trying to maintain speed of 40kmh, it does take some effort. Best if I can wheelsuck those on 404 or 6.7 or C50 :lol:

The rear hub is not alu-carbon as the 2014 models. Rear wheel is a bit heavier than 2014 but front wheel is lighter. So it kinda offset old-new weight differences.

Look-wise, I wanted to go for FRZN but that price increase just for the cosmetic (braking improvement, maybe?) and the rear alu-carbon hub, I dont feel the justification for that. The FRZ could be better with a more "white" wordings/decals.

Anyways, here's an obligatory pic:
    sotn9t.jpg