Streamed Cycling - Pay sites or just rely on iffy ones

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited March 2015 in Pro race
Eurosport to my mind has gone over again to the unfathomable world of weird sports... we love our darts but honestly who cares about winter sports in the UK which always overrun and dont even mention tennis.
Their cycling coverage does not seem to be worth a subscription.
Cycling TV ? I have to pay via a credit card.. loathe to do as it is on ones of those auto renewals and dont like my card details in the hands of foreign websites, that includes the Yanks.
It has taken 8 years to come to terms that Paypal isnt going to rip me off every which way and do like to pay via that method nowadays.
Sporza seem to be really on the ball with cycling... but I cannot subscribe in the UK?
Is there a really comprehensive service out there to view cycling. .. decent quality etc.. reasonable pricing and legit.
What are the recomendations?

Comments

• argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    A bit unfair on Eurosport I'd say. They've not had the rights for the Flanders Classics races (bar the Tour of Flanders) for a while but cover virtually everything else except domestic French and non-RCS Italian one day races. Their winter sports programme only clashes with the start of the season really and I'll take that if it means the rest of the year things generally go to plan. Ultimately their flexible schedule works in cycling's favour too as a live race that overruns will go on til the end, bumping the next sport. I really don't see an alternative there.

They showed all of this in 2014 (c+p'd from another thread):

Dubai: Quigley & Smith
    Oman: Kirby (solo)
    Andalucia: Hatch & Stephens
    K-B-K: Hatch & Stephens
    Le Samyn: Kirby & Smith
    Langkawi: Hatch (first week) / Quigley (last few stages) (both solo)
    Strade Bianche: Hatch & Smith
    Roma Maxima: Quigley & Smith
    Paris-Nice: Hatch & Kelly
    Tirreno-Adriatico: Quigley & Stephens
    Milan-Sanremo: Quigley & Kelly
    Catalunia: Kirby & Backstedt
    E3 Harelbeke: Quigley & Stephens
    Criterium International: Quigley & Stephens
    Three Days of De Panne: Kirby & Smith
    Tour of Flanders: Kirby & Kelly
    Vuelta al Pais Vasco: Kirby & Stephens
    Paris-Roubaix: Kirby & Stephens
    GP de Denain: Kirby & Lloyd
    Tour of the Reservoir: McCrossan & Stephens
    Amstel Gold Race: Kirby & Kelly
    Fleche Wallonne: Kirby & Lloyd
    Tour of Turkey: Kirby & Smith
    Liege-Bastogne-Liege: Hatch & Kelly
    4 Days of Dunkirk: Quigley & Backstedt
    Tour of Azerbaijan: Hatch (solo, stage 1) / Quigley (solo, stage 2) / Harris-Bass (solo, stages 3-4) / Harris-Bass & Gibb (stage 5)
    Women's Tour of Britain: Porter & Smith (syndicated - also on ITV4)
    Giro d'Italia: Hatch & Kelly (with intro from Harris-Bass stage 1 and Andy Smith stages 2&3)
    Wiltshire Grand Prix: McCrossan & Stephens
    Tour of California: Stephens & Smith
    Tour Series (all rounds): Porter & Smith (syndicated - also on ITV4)
    Tour of Norway: Quigley & Backstedt
    Lincoln GP: McCrossan & Stephens
    World Ports Classic: MacDonald & Smith
    Tour des Fjords: Stephens & Smith
    Criterium du Dauphine: Kirby & Smith
    Milk Race: Quigley & Tony Doyle
    London Nocturne: Porter & Smith
    Tour de Suisse: Quigley & Lloyd
    British Road Championships: Kirby & Stephens
    Tour de France: Kirby & Kelly with Harris-Bass
    British Circuit Championships: Porter, Trott & Backstedt
    Elite Circuit Series: McCrossan & Stephens
    La Course by Le Tour: MacDonald & Ottilie Quince
    Tour de Wallonnie: Stephens & Smith
    Clasica San Sebastian: Quigley & Backstedt
    Tour de Pologne: Kirby & Backstedt
    Women's Ride London: Hatch & Smith
    RideLondon-Surrey Classic: Hatch & Stephens
    Eneco Tour: Kirby & Smith
    Arctic Race of Norway: Hatch & Backstedt (stages 1&2) / Stephens (stages 3&4)
    Circuit of the Fens: McCrossan & Stephens
    USA Pro Challenge: Hatch & Backstedt
    Vuelta a Espana: Kirby & Lloyd (stages 1 &2), Kelly (stages 3+)
    Vattenfall Cyclassics: Quigley & Backstedt
    GP Ouest-France Plouay: Quigley & Smith
    Tour of Alberta: Hatch & Smith / Backstedt
    Tour of Britain: Stephens & Backstedt
    GP Quebec: Quigley & Stephens
    GP Montreal: Hatch & Backstedt
    Wallonie GP: Kirby & Backstedt
    Voigt's Hour: Kirby & Backstedt
    Tour de l'Eurometropole (final day): Quigley & Hayles
    Il Lombardia: Stephens & Smith
    Binche-Chimay-Binche: Hatch & Stephens
    Tour of Beijing: Kirby & Stephens
    Paris-Tours: Quigley & Lloyd
    Amsterdam 6 Days: Kirby & Gibb
    Saitama Criterium: Kirby & Stephens
    Brandle's Hour: Quigley & Backstedt

They've shown (or are scheduled to show) this in 2015:

Dubai: Hatch & Smith
    Cadel Evans GO Race: Liggett, Keenan and McEwen (international broadcast)
    Vuelta a Andalucia / Ruta del Sol: Kirby & Stephens
    Dekker's Hour: Kirby & Backstedt
    Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne: Stephens & ??
    Le Samyn: tbc
    Strade Bianchi: Hatch & ??
    Paris-Nice: Hatch & ??
    Tirreno-Adriatico: ?? & Stephens
    Milan-Sanremo: Stephens & ??

In addition to above they have confirmed rights for the following (with more as always to follow):

http://s13.photobucket.com/user/L8Hatter/media/B7ZxgepIEAAP2ap_zpsd3e51de2.jpg.html

From 2014, they have dropped the Oman highlights (available on cycling.tv) and the Langkawi highlights but as both appeared a day after the fact and Langkawi was only 15 minutes each stage, it's no massive loss to the schedule.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Personally I think this is where the Velon group should come in. Set up a subscription online channel which streams all of the races (they should be able to get rights for free), and also brings together content like GCN, How the race was won, Cycling Podcast, onboard cameras, behind the scenes videos etc, etc. (or similar products)

As for the OP - you could get Hola - it gets around geo-restrictions (also good for accessing US Netflix).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jgsi
    In defence of Eurosport have used for past 3 seasons, but for 2015 seems off for that.. 5.99 per month charge.
    Issue is Eurosport 2 covers the racing for our European friends but on Brit 2 we have to put up with the darts or Chinese snooker... they dont allow the normal Eurosport feed on the app.
    I've looked at these 'vpn' solution to get around geo restrictions, but also loathe to mess around with the dns on the laptop or router.
    I shall investigate HOLA.
  • argyllflyer
    OP, not sure what you mean though. Occasionally races get bumped to delayed on BE2 but it is only occasionally. I'm one of the saddos who will watch any televised cycling and I don't recall too many occasions that we got a raw deal (E3 wasn't shown live iirc in 2013 but we got it delayed). Andalucia I know was shoved to delayed for 3 stages this year but that was their first live race of the season and it did coincide with winter sports. However, Tirreno and P-N are all going to be shown live, as is K-B-K today and Le Samyn on Wednesday, then Strade Bianche this saturday, with MSR in 3 weeks time.

http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/search.shtml?query=cycling
  • jgsi
    I'm just being picky, I know.. dedicated channel.. where we actually get to see the mad buggers going full tilt in the first hour.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    The problem i have with eurosport player is it's reliability. I've just decided to give it another go and within a week it's stopped working on the app on my TV. The feed online is far better than the links from cycling fans but i want to be able to watch it in high quality on a proper screen. I've not once had bbc iplayer buffer on my tv, yet eurosport player either doesn't work or constantly buffers.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • argyllflyer
    JGSI wrote:
    I'm just being picky, I know.. dedicated channel.. where we actually get to see the mad buggers going full tilt in the first hour.

Well that's pretty rare in itself as most TV companies (which is not Eurosport's role as they buy the pictures in) don't bother filming the early exchanges, or if they do, it's scaled down - motos only and no helicopter so they can show something in their intro package. Exceptions being the odd grand tour stage and the Mens Elite Worlds road race. The BBC also seem to like showing races in their entirety on their watch, such as the London-Surrey Classic, albeit online or on the red button. I'm not sure a dedicated channel would make much of a difference. Take yesterday, Sporza began their programme about 12.30pm UK time I believe but used the first half hour to talk about it. I was following on cycling.tv and they were just using the host broadcast pictures with English commentary - they began iirc with less than 100km to go, i.e. about halfway through the race. That's what was going out in Belgium, or near as dammit.

A way to perhaps improve what does get transmitted eventually might be to go down the line of filming from the beginning and broadcasting, live or otherwise something actually happening - to avoid the scenario of a race broadcast beginning with say 50km to go, a group of 3 or 4 up the road being given a 3 minute lead by a coasting peloton - show us how that happened in detail and when something of note happens or the gap gets to say 15km and 1 minute, start live pictures.
  • jgsi
    well at least I got Sporza to stream.. thanks Rich
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    ES is very good on the whole. Plus cyclinghub stream when it's not being shown live on ES.
  • A way to perhaps improve what does get transmitted eventually might be to go down the line of filming from the beginning and broadcasting, live or otherwise something actually happening - to avoid the scenario of a race broadcast beginning with say 50km to go, a group of 3 or 4 up the road being given a 3 minute lead by a coasting peloton - show us how that happened in detail and when something of note happens or the gap gets to say 15km and 1 minute, start live pictures.

This is a very good idea, let's say it's a sprint stage, or one of those stages of the Vuelta that is an MTF with not much happening in the run up.

Do picture in picture with highlights or analysis until something happens live, then cover that.