Rigid Ideas

t4thomas
t4thomas Posts: 38
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Evening All.

To cut a long story short, I have a 2009 Orange Crush. It's a capable bike, but reluctantly it no longer suits the type of riding I am doing anymore. I've only just admitted it to myself, but i'm really after a bit of an all rounder that I can use for local commutes, family rides to the park or carving about in the woods with mates.

I am loathed to buy a hybrid, but the idea of a lightweight singlespeed mountain bike with a rigid fork really appeals.

I've hit search, but can't find much that fits the bill.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Think outside the box...
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Build your own - simples, get a decent frame and fork (on-one Lurcher would be a good bet http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOLUR29/o ... 29er-frame) and you could
    1/ Buy all new parts
    2/ Buy a decent fairly new MTB used and break it for parts
    3/ Use a mix of new parts and good used bought through the classifieds/eBay etc

The Lurcher can be had with horizontal dropouts, just get some 29er wheels and a single speed cog conversion, I'd suggest something like a 32mm tyre for road use and then something suitable for trails if you want.

Or for a Budget option, get a Voodoo Marasa and convert it to single speed using a tensioner, you could have it on the road for circa £400.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks.

Thanks.

I agree that building my own is looking like the best option; I am just a bit of a newbie, so the idea of getting stem lengths right etc. scares me a bit.

I have found a few rigid singlespeed bike e.g. the KONA UNIT looks interesting. However, the idea of hand picking components is obviously much more appealing.

All frame/component suggestions welcome.

Thomas
  • The Rookie
    What is your budget?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    There are a few options - look at On One, Genesis, Salsa & http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/mountain- ... espeed-c19
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Single rigid 29er is the thing i am looking for now but fkndkng the right frame second hand is not easy. Any frame can be converted though and now k have fojnd the expensive trickstuff eccentric bb this means any frame can become a skngle speed without a tensioner which have gone off again. So pick any frame that fits op and fit a skngle cog and ride.

Single spees are great riden one rigid for years just want another one Now.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Rookie
    A friend is building a budget single speed, 26" frame and as a 69er with rigid fork.
  • t4thomas
    Apologies for the slow response. I haven't really decided on a budget as I guess I am trying to work out where the best value is in terms of weight savings.

This looks nice:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/On-one-456-ti ... 1617510396
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That could get expensive. And Ti is a PITA.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • t4thomas
    Oh, really... How comes?

Think I am better off sticking with Alu?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It seems to break with alarming regularity. And when it does, very few people can do anything with it.

And that could go high - I'd look at carbon instead. It's the 21st century.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • t4thomas
    Ok, cheers for the pointer cooldad.
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    I would question whether a single speed could be an all rounder, any kind of gearing that enables you to do a bit of mtbing up any sort of gradient probably would leave you spinning out trying to maintain a decent speed commuting, unless you don't have far to go? Don't get me wrong single speeds are great fun and very responsive to ride but in my own experience don't make such a great "all rounder" and are better as a 2nd or 3rd bike. You can get various single speed kits so nothing to stop you trying the orange out as a single speed with some slicker tyres.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    fizik wrote:
    I would question whether a single speed could be an all rounder, any kind of gearing that enables you to do a bit of mtbing up any sort of gradient probably would leave you spinning out trying to maintain a decent speed commuting, unless you don't have far to go? Don't get me wrong single speeds are great fun and very responsive to ride but in my own experience don't make such a great "all rounder" and are better as a 2nd or 3rd bike. You can get various single speed kits so nothing to stop you trying the orange out as a single speed with some slicker tyres.

I agree, the possibility of gears makr it a better all rounder. Maybe something with a 'swapout' type system that can take gears on true ss?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • cycleclinic
    I can roll quite happily at 15mph on the 26er i ran as a ss And that was with gearing thag got me steep climb. Ran 36T/16T. I plan to run 36T/18T or 17T on the new 29er SS and that will allow me to climb steep gradients and roll on the road at a decent speed without spinning out. The one thing riding a SS does is build leg strength so taller gearing becomes possible with time. I would say SS can be all rounder of sorts.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,560
    http://www.bikeradar.com/au/mtb/gear/ca ... -14-48208/

This would do for a start, sure to be a used one or two floating about somewhere
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • fizik
    15mph is pretty slow if commuting any kind of distance. That dale is a nice bike though.
  • cycleclinic
    speed on a ss depends on the gearing which includes tyre size used. The 26er single speed is gone and being replaced with a 29er anyway which will be quicker on the road but your gearing is always a comprise. Gear for the road and off road can become difficult if its sticky.
  • fizik
    speed on a ss depends on the gearing which includes tyre size used. The 26er single speed is gone and being replaced with a 29er anyway which will be quicker on the road but your gearing is always a comprise. Gear for the road and off road can become difficult if its sticky.

A bit of a sweeping statement there if you adjusted the effective gearing of the 29er to compensate for the larger wheel such that it is equivalent to the 26er in terms of pedal strokes vs speed then I seriously doubt the 29er is going to be any faster on the road. Its all relative as you know but its a bit much to say one wheel size is quicker (on the road at least). But yep I would rather have a 29er if I was going ss and rigid.