The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited December 2015 in Your mountain bikes
A decent Butcher.

20150228_170608_zpsboucip5g.jpg

Comments

• Shit my answer was brown sauce.....
    Nice bike though.
  • I'm liking that bike a lot and I'm a sucker for orange...
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Very nice!
  • Cheers.

1st outing today, tis very quick. Shame I'm so unfit at the mo!

Shock bushings are worn and have a bit of play so have ordered some from SC-UK.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I road the butcher round skyline trail, then next day the Nomad a few years back.. the butcher was a far more fun bike IMO..

Good bike bro.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The SC's do look very tasty and always get good reviews.

In answer to the original question, you need a good roll to put your pork in...... :lol::lol::lol:
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I think you mean a barmcake, but thats a different thread entirely.

Bushings turned up today, but I wasn't expecting for them to be sent recorded/signed for by SC so they're currently residing in the local post office. Dammit, could have got them changed tomorrow too!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Those old Butchers are indestructible and a great ride. Its basically every thing Orange tried to make the Five.
  • Well, turned out a few pivot bearings were fubar so I dropper her in at my local SC dealership this morning (i've never used them before, but figured I wanted to take it to a proper dealer).

100% faith restored in LBS's.
    I got it to them at 9:30 and said it was a new to me frame but it was knocking. He stripped, cleaned and lubed all the pivots, changed all the bearings that needed doing, changed the shock bushes and called me at 2pm to say it was sunny outside and I'd better come pick it up before it pisses it down again.

Bike feels brand new and it was £60 all in. Bloody impressed!

Can't wait to give it some abuse tomorrow!

Shameless pic. just because.

20150307_174547_zpsvzes4tpy.jpg
  • Sounds like some great service, and that is an absolutely smashing looking bike! How is it riding?
  • Taa!

Rides absolutely brilliantly. It's my first proper dabble into a trail/AM FS frame, the peddling is incredibly efficient and I love being able to switch from propedal level 3 to 1 on the descents with a quick flick of a switch.

With my current fitness level I can't do it justice, I'm just hanging on. Still, managed to smash some Strava trophies on Sunday!

Crying out for a dropper post..
  • Great to hear! That thing is a work of art, and i'm sure the fitness will come.

I'll trade you a dropper post for it?
  • quite damp today..

20150329_121227_zps13f1d4c8.jpg
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    You're bike is the wrong colour.. should be covered in mud by the time you've gone through that.. ;)
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • Was more wet than muddy, although I did have to hose off my kit when I got home.

Quick vid, most the footage was just a muddy watery blur :lol:

https://youtu.be/AIvghhpL0B4?list=PLSNU ... 5duskNDHOl
  • I've got a butcher, their brilliant bikes.
    Nice video
  • Cheers!

Made the most of a Friday off work yesterday and went exploring round Cwmcarn.

11013215_10152690182551951_4011060318475285857_n_zpswscfaq0a.jpg

Found a lot of loose spokes when I got home, so the rear wheel has gone to the LBS to be trued and retensioned.
  • Impulse buy mucky nuts face fender today when I took the wheel in to be sorted.

20150404_120841_zpsc9c89cc2.jpg

Again, LBS sorted me out same day, so am ready to ride again tomorrow!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Surely being orange it should be called Bianca Butcher
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Always wanted a butcher! yours looks awesome, how does it ride mate?
  • It rides really well, seem to be getting faster the more I ride it... nice short top tube (newer frames seem to be going with long top tubes in comparison now) so its very fast to manouver. Also just loves to be pedalled out of corners, it picks up speed incredibly fast!

Only gripe is that the BB is lower than I'm used to, so i've smacked the pedals quite a few times now.
  • 18km at BPW this morning, bike was so much fun!
    Needs a dropper though, so will get one on payday.. now running a 32t front ring which has made climbing a lot easier.

20150524_121218-1_zps79d869d8.jpg
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Nice looking bike that! :mrgreen:
  • Not had an update for a while... but then, not much has changed!

Got some Renthal Fatbar Carbon fitted last week after wanting something a bit wider.

Also, finally managed to kill a bearing in the rear hub - they have been in there for well over a year now and bearings don't last too long on the natural stuff round here...
    Packed it with grease, hoping it will last winter as I hate changing bearings while its minging outside...

Anyway, had a great ride today. Just a local loop, deep mud and wet roots were the order of the day!
    Followed by the obligatory coffee and bacon sw of course..

IMG_20151220_144852_zpsxatqantt.jpg