Archetype brake track - too narrow?

DKay
DKay Posts: 1,652
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Fitted my Archtypes back onto my bike today for a ride and when I've gone to reset the brake pads, I've noticed that the brake track on the rims seems to be very narrow (not rode the Archtypes all winter and only got them last Oct). I'm running Kool Stop Salmons and the rear of the pads looks to be at least 1mm too wide and as the pad wears, it's going to start wearing the sloped part of the rim. Not a real problem to be fair, but not ideal either.

Anyone else running Archtypes noticed this issue?

IMAG3260_zpsyanvtvqr.jpg

IMAG3258_zpssjqgqrvx.jpg

Comments

• holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Hmmm that does appear to be a bit thinner than needed, at least in your specific example.

I'll be interested in hearing and perhaps seeing other people's experience in this regard as I am considering an Archetype build!
  • DKay
    On my other bike, I was using standard 5800 pads and they were right on the limit in terms of fitting inside the brake track on the Archetypes. The Kool Stops are noticeably wider at the rear of the pad, compared to the front.
  • Seems that the problem is the koolstop... if that is a problem... I don't see the problem
    left the forum March 2023
  • In the photo the pad appears to be set so its low at the top and hence low at the bottom; it does not appear to be wider than the brake track - move the pad up and it will fit
  • DKay
    The Kool Stops fit ok on my Fulcrum 7s, RS11 and SL23s, but not on the Archetypes. The latter definitely seem to be narrower than 'normal'.
  • DKay
    In the photo the pad appears to be set so its low at the top and hence low at the bottom; it does not appear to be wider than the brake track - move the pad up and it will fit

Nope. At the most, there is around 0.5mm of space above the l/h pad, but barely a hairs width on the r/h. The pads are set as high as it's possible to get without spending an hour doing each side. Even then, the lower part of the pad is still going to significantly overhang.