Rear hub offset?

holiver
holiver Posts: 729
edited February 2015 in Workshop
I'm looking at two different Novatec rear hubs for Campagnolo fitment; the F262SB and the F272SB.

http://novatecusa.net/project/f162sb-rh-f262sb-rh/
http://novatecusa.net/project/f172sb-rh-f272sb-rh/

Despite the different design they seem similar in measurements other than the F.T.F and offset, as below. Can anyone explain what these are and their benefits/drawbacks? I have tried the forum search and a more general search on the Internet, but I'm not finding anything that might help an idiot like me! Thank you.

F262
O.L.D. 130mm
AXLE 10x140mm
P.C.D. 49mm
F.T.F. 57mm
OFFSET 9.5mm

F272
O.L.D. 130mm
AXLE 10x140mm
P.C.D. 49mm
F.T.F. 50mm
OFFSET 6mm

Comments

• Basically it represents how offset the centre of the flange is with respect to the centre of the hub.
    Given equal freehub size, a small offset gives you more homogeneous spoke tension between DS and NDS spokes, but it generally also means the flange is narrower and the wheel less strong.

The better way to achieve more homogeneous tension even with a wide falge is to use a 2:1 spoke pattern (please enquire within for tricks... :wink: ) or to use an off centre rim, like the A 23 OC or the DT 440 asymmetric
    left the forum March 2023
  • holiver
    Interesting, thank you for the detail. Which might be best with your favourite the Archetype rim or is it much of a muchness?
  • holiver wrote:
    Interesting, thank you for the detail. Which might be best with your favourite the Archetype rim or is it much of a muchness?

The problem is that the numbers you found are not quite right, as in fact the two hubs share pretty much everything in terms of numbers. For a modern set of wheels the 162 doesn't look like something rom the 80s and that would be my preferred one
  • holiver
    The numbers are from the Novatec website pages I linked to. Strange that they wouldn't be correct.

That is what I was thinking, as the F262 does look more modern. Any idea where best to source them other than BDoP?
  • holiver wrote:
    The numbers are from the Novatec website pages I linked to. Strange that they wouldn't be correct.

That is what I was thinking, as the F262 does look more modern. Any idea where best to source them other than BDoP?

BDOP or Ebay. Don't discard BDOP, it's like ordering from Germany... 7 days or so and I think there are no import duties
  • holiver
    If so that would make a set of hubs and QR levers ~£75 which sounds like a decent price.

Thank you for your help.
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    Re: BDop...
    and I think there are no import duties

...sadly last time I ordered a pair of hubs from them I was charged £27 (seems to be the amount regardless of contents) in import duties (incl. ParcelForce "handling" fees).

From memory I've ordered hubs from BDop maybe four or five times in total so don't know if that's a representative ratio of how often you get stung!!