Time Trial Position

Hi I'm trying to decide whether there is more time to be saved by changing my time trial position so Post a picture of you during a time trial, your height, your weight, a time trial time , your power during that time trial and any reason why it was particularity fast or slow. I will go first.
I'm 5 foot 9, 60kg, 22.52 for 10 miles, 270 watts and it was a rolling course but ok conditions

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Already been done - see the 24-page thread at the top of the forum..

viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=12693869
  • I looked through the first few pages and there is nothing about power or speed just picture of positions
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I would just post it in the other thread anyway. Not sure how much of that info would be useful to anyone else though, to be honest.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    As above I'd suggest posting on main thread. Also, as per my "sub 20 minute TT" thread, power:speed:time can vary wildly due to course layout and local conditions like traffic, so comparing performance will be very broad brush.

Also very small changes can make a massive difference. One goal this winter is sort out my position and reduce the watts lost when in TT compared to climbing. Its been going well, one huge surprise was that a small change in the angle of the arm rests made a massive difference. There was nothing "wrong" in my old setup, it works for many other riders, indeed I copied them. But not for me.

Also I find it a bit surprising most pictures are side view. I guess that's because pictures are easy to take from this angle. However the view from the front matters a lot more. (there is an example here of how to use this to come up with a rough guesstimate of your Cda

http://www.cyclingpowerlab.com/CyclingAerodynamics.aspx

This post also mentions the "Chung" method. I tried this out last year didn't really spend long enough on it to come to any conclusions. Also it was stupid to do before sorting out position wrt power. But I did enough to want too try it again this year. If you have the time I'd suggest giving it a go (If you do then its worth knowing that Golden Cheetah has a function to support this which makes the process very easy from the maths pov though still tricky in terms of finding the right course/conditions)
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    PS I found Adam Topham's book "Fly Through the Pain Barrier" (it's pricey but worth it imo) helpful wrt to this and most every other aspect of time trialling. It includes some "before"/"after" comparisons that made a big difference to him and some suggestions on what to work on. Still there is no magic bullet it seems. Still a lot of trial and error.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    On the same power and 15-20lbs heavier I'm faster on both rolling and flat courses, so yes aero is key.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    bahzob wrote:
    PS I found Adam Topham's book "Fly Through the Pain Barrier" (it's pricey but worth it imo) helpful wrt to this and most every other aspect of time trialling. It includes some "before"/"after" comparisons that made a big difference to him and some suggestions on what to work on. Still there is no magic bullet it seems. Still a lot of trial and error.

+1 Great book imo.