On One Inbred frame <£200 alternatives

wilbo83
wilbo83 Posts: 90
edited February 2015 in MTB general
Am considering replacing the frame on an old Scott hardtail that I have been gradually upgrading. Am close to buying an On One Inbred but thought I would ask what other considerations I should look at for the max £200 budget?

The frame will be paired with 100mm Marzocchi Bombers (yes, the orange ones) which have just been serviced and have a disc adapter. One worry with the Inbred is that I have heard it is a pretty heavy frame, even for steel, so paired with the bombers could easily be in excess of 30lb for the whole bike.

I want it geared and will be used as an all rounder but mainly on local trails (swinley forest).

Comments

• John Wh
    John Wh Posts: 239
    I have just recently taken delivery of the large and it doesn't feel too heavy to me. To be fair, I haven't really got anything to compare it with.

It's a fresh build using all new parts, so the only bike I'll have to compare it to will be my current Voodoo Hoodoo. I'll probably try another frame in about 12 months :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why replace the frame, anything wrong with it?

The Inbred is heavy, much heavier than say a Cotic Soul which these days undercuts many Al frames.

Any reason to go new rather than look for a decent used frame?

On-one have some shipper and 456 Carbon for £250, much better get to my mind for the small amount extra.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Why replace the frame, anything wrong with it?

The Inbred is heavy, much heavier than say a Cotic Soul which these days undercuts many Al frames.

Any reason to go new rather than look for a decent used frame?

On-one have some shipper and 456 Carbon for £250, much better get to my mind for the small amount extra.
    Nothing wrong with it other than it doesn't have disc mounts and is too small. Its a Scott Tacana, women's geometry, which was great for hopping about when I was younger but its too short for trail use now (c.540mm effective toptube).

The 456 looks decent but I have some recently refurbished bomber z1s that I would like to use. At 100mm I know they could be used on the 456 but from what I have read, will suit the inbred better.

As for the inbred being heavy, that's kind of why I started this thread, to consider alternatives.

(Edit: I'm 5'7" so considering the 16" frame on one)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sorry, I also suggested the whippet bug the auto correct changed that!

Personally I'd look for a decent used Al frame like an older Carrera, should cost less than £40 and the 16" weigh sub 1800g.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.