Chammy Creme...

pippi_langsamer-2
pippi_langsamer-2 Posts: 1,470
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Gotten away without really having to use it for a while now, but seem to be suffering of late with a couple of sores :twisted:

Any favourites, or is Assos the go-to choice? Udderly Smooth?

(im not buying Rapha neither)

Comments

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Assos is the one I use and recommend. Wiggle tend to have good prices on it.

Peter
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    None. It's just a bunch of marketing bull.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    i normally dont use it, but if i'm in a hot country and/or multiple days riding i use the Assos

MAtt
  • If you already have some sores use Sudocrem to clear them up.
    If you have a good insert in your shorts you don't need Chamois Cream unless you are a Pro riding 6 days a week, remember Chamois cream was made to soften real leather inserts.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Used to use it, started with assos then they changed the formula to something that really didn't agree with my undercarriage, tried various others and got hideous saddle sores. Had some time of the bike to allow them to heal and haven't bother since and haven't had any saddle sore issues either. Use a small dab of Savlon after a ride if it's a bit raw down there and that seems to keep things under control
  • 'cos pros never get saddle sores......
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Essential for touring in hot weather. I like Assos best. Little smell, nice consistency, cooling effect when applied. Udderly is thinner, doesn't last quite so long and has quite a strong perfume which I dislike. If you are in the saddle four to six hours a day for two or three weeks, tiny hot spots can develop into pimples and even boils. I use Assos creme on both body and shorts insert and can normally keep soreness at bay. I find Germolene is the best after ride soothing anaesthetic and antiseptic cream to get rid of hot spots, while Savlon is nearly as good.
  • Grill
    Don't know many audaxers that bother with cham cream...
  • mercia_man
    Grill wrote:
    Don't know many audaxers that bother with cham cream...

I find it's the cumulative effect of riding day after day in high temperatures that causes hot spots, rather than a long day ride.
  • Grill
    Everyone's different, but it certainly isn't a problem for me...
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Grill wrote:

Only because you wear S7. Perhaps it is the lack of saddle sores that makes an Audax rider?
    I use Sportique Century.
  • Grill
    FatTed wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Only because you wear S7. Perhaps it is the lack of saddle sores that makes an Audax rider?
    I use Sportique Century.

Doesn't matter what I wear. I have S7's, S5's, Castellis, DHB, Endura and many other bibs. The S7's are the comfiest, but I've never needed creme for any of those and that includes 12hr TT's in skinsuits. Once you get used to it, it's not an issue.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Bully for you!
  • mercia_man
    Grill obviously has unusually tough skin. But a single ride - even as hard as a 12hr time trial or audax event - is not the same as day after day riding. Saddle sores are a very real problem for stage race riders - look how Laurent Fignon suffered in that fantastic 1989 Tour de France duel with Greg Lemond - and for long distance tourists like me. It's not a question of manning up. Looking after your body means you can keep on riding.

I've been cycle touring for 30 years and never used to use chamois creme, just Germolene or Savlon at the end of the day. I used to get little pressure points that developed into pimples, thankfully never full blown boils, after around 10 days or so of riding. I now use chamois creme and don't get these pressure points. Hygiene, saddle, shorts and rest days obviously also play their part as well.

It doesn't matter what brand I use, chamois creme works for me. I've even had good results with Boots skin softening cream for hard feet!
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    I find Metanium cream (yellow packet) fantastic for healing sores -virtually overnight healing.
  • Id agree with some of the comments regarding cream being vastly overpriced for what is essentially not much more than a tub of Vaseline. I've not developed full on boils, but a couple of pimples which I'm treating with Savlon and for now, riding with Vaseline to help reduce friction.

A friend has some Sports Balm cream I'm gonna try first before purchasing so we'll see how that gets on.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I am sure vaseline works, but the trouble is that it is not water soluble and so would a nightmare to wash out. your chamois must be a right state!
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Noting robbo's point, and having seen what carnage fabric conditioner (ie Lenor etc) can have on lycra shorts material, I wonder if any 'alternative' products to specific chamois creme could react to the lycra material during wear/ wash cycle.

Peter
  • There's not enough Vaseline applied to really have any undesired consequences on the insert...