Would you come to Mallorca if there were winter flights?

We have just had the most beautiful weather in January - warm, clear and bright followed by a pretty awful February with snow and more rain than average.

There are not many flights from the UK over these months to Palma. Those that do come are mainly from London.

In contrast, Air Berlin runs a full program from a number of German cities and the flights are full. German cyclists are enjoying the routes and lounging around the cafés (that are open).

My question has 2 parts and I would appreciate your time should you choose to answer: 1. if more flights were offered at decent prices from the UK over January and February would you come and cycle here, taking into account the fact that the weather may not be brilliant (but still better than the UK)? Or would you continue to wait for spring when the weather is more guaranteed (and when there are flights)?

January
19.jpg

February
4.jpg

Comments

• The lowlands may be a hospitable climate but if you want to do any climbing then you're still often talking sub zero temperatures on the tops.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I was there the first week of February this year. Rained/snowed every day so they closed the mountains and never came close to hitting double digits. I've never been so cold from a week of riding.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    If there were flights, I'd consider last minute rather than planned (if I enjoy it like I am told I will in May)
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Oh and I flew from Bristol so there are flights.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill wrote:
    I was there the first week of February this year. Rained/snowed every day so they closed the mountains and never came close to hitting double digits. I've never been so cold from a week of riding.

Same here. Flew dirt cheap from London £46 return but it was two days of worse weather than what i left behind.

I have never been so cold riding that SW coast and Puig major was shut.

Enjoyed it in a weird way but if im honest i dont think i would risk Feb again
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Agreed. In 2011 we went there mid-March and I have pix at the top of the Col D'Honor as well with 1-2 feet of snow around. The locals were VERY happy to see us early tourists after what was a very snowy winter. It was the same year CN carried a story about a BCF training camp in Feb with the Women's road/track squad and they were wearing snow-mobile suits surrounded by 3 feet of snow.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
This discussion has been closed.