Commuting disc wheel set recommendations and spoke count adv

SPROCKET30
SPROCKET30 Posts: 67
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
The wheelset on my CdF is in need of replacing. I've been looking at the Hope pro 2 laced to Archetype on Moonglu. I have a Stans arch ex wheelset built by them which have been excellent.

The Archetype on the site are 28 spoke wheels would I be better going with 32? I'm 12 stone kitted but ride poorly maintained rural roads. otherwise I may get the same wheelset from JRA as it is 32 spokes per wheel but a bit more expensive. Wheel weight is not really an issue as I'm running Marathon plus's I'm looking for a durable wheelset to be commuted on all year round. I'm also guessing aluminium nipples are still to be avoided?

Comments

• I run discs and always built 32 for myself... if I want to save weight I use Sapim D-Light spokes, which are 5 grams each and you can easily build a 32 set at just over 1600 grams If you are not worried, then 32 all the way, sapim race or DT comp... lower spoke count will not give you any real advantage.. Hope PRO 2 are the best for the job
    left the forum March 2023
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    SPROCKET30 wrote:
    The wheelset on my CdF is in need of replacing. I've been looking at the Hope pro 2 laced to Archetype on Moonglu. I have a Stans arch ex wheelset built by them which have been excellent.

The Archetype on the site are 28 spoke wheels would I be better going with 32? I'm 12 stone kitted but ride poorly maintained rural roads. otherwise I may get the same wheelset from JRA as it is 32 spokes per wheel but a bit more expensive. Wheel weight is not really an issue as I'm running Marathon plus's I'm looking for a durable wheelset to be commuted on all year round. I'm also guessing aluminium nipples are still to be avoided?

Just ordered a set of Archetype/ Hope Pro2 Evo from Moonglu. I too was a bit concerned about the 28 spoke count as I'm pushing the 90kg mark ATM - hoping to drop a few kg when the better weather returns.

I contacted Neil (Dunkley) by email and he confirmed that he can do 32/32 as they have the rims and hubs in stock. Same price as the 28/28. My wheels should be ready next week hopefully.

Give Neil a call or email him if you want the higher spoke wheels - they are doable for the same money
  • Just ordered a set of Archetype/ Hope Pro2 Evo from Moonglu. I too was a bit concerned about the 28 spoke count as I'm pushing the 90kg mark ATM - hoping to drop a few kg when the better weather returns.

I contacted Neil (Dunkley) by email and he confirmed that he can do 32/32 as they have the rims and hubs in stock. Same price as the 28/28. My wheels should be ready next week hopefully.
    Give Neil a call or email him if you want the higher spoke wheels - they are doable for the same money

Thanks for the reply's. That's good to know arlowood I'll give him a call tomorrow then.