Disc Brake Cable Outers

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Have read elsewhere that you need to fit "compressionless" outer cables when setting up road disc brakes. Not sure if this is entirely necessary.

However I'm about to start building up my Equilibrium Disc frame and wondered if the standard Shimano brake cable outers supplied with 105 5800 STI's would be suitable for the job or do I have to find an alternative.

If so what do I need to purcahse

Comments

• Totally un-necessary... even now that I have an HyRD on Campagnolo levers, I still don't feel the need for compression less outers...
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I didn't use them and the brakes were great. As with you I got standard Shimano with a 105 groupset and just used that. No idea how much better they'd be with compressionless, never felt the need to find out.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I use Goodridge ones on my 2 MTBs with BB7s - noticeably better than regular outers, particularly when hauling a fatbike doing 60kph on off-road descents ;-)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Jagwire do some compressionless outers which are excellent. Definitely improve matters on caliper brake setups. Whether it's necessary for a disc setup is up to you.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer