Short travel trail frames

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Im looking for a replacement for my Mega TR frame but something similar, short travel rear but to take a 140-160mm fork and with long, low and slack geometry. Ideally I would like to use my 190 x 50 Cane Creek shock.
Im a bit short on ideas, Transition Scout is looking like a top choice, the Pyga OneTwenty also looks like it will do the job. I already have a 650b fork so that rules out 29ers.
Any other ideas for frames I should consider?

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Not sure if they fit your preferences completely but these Commencal frames are cheapish direct and the two Metas will fit your shock.
  • Stick with the Scout. In the travel range most options are XC or Slope. Solo/5010 as an outside possibility or look into anglesets to slacken up XC options.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Commencals arent really what Im looking for. The Solo is nice but not exactly long, slack and low.
    I forgot to mention my budget is up to £1500 maybe £1800 if its really nice.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Scout is a great shout, perhaps look at the new intense Spyder 27.5
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    I'd probably buy one of the £1500 Kona Process 134's from Winstanley's, sell all the kit off it, as you should comfortably get £500 for all that, frame left for a grand, build it up how you want.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    RM Thunderbolt can take a 130 fork. Scout looks good. Pyga maybe - friend has one, likes it.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pivot Mach 5.7? last time I looked that was just on your budget (alloy).....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Mach 5.7 looks interesting. I will investigate further.....
  • The Rookie
    I've demo'd a 26" Mach4 and it was a brilliant ride.....There is a Demo day at Cannock on 21/22 March and I know the Pivots have been there before, not looked at this years list.

EDIT: Not on LL's list, but in case any others you are interested in are...
    http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/Demo-W ... ue&ab=true
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Pivot does look good but the geometry isnt going to be quite right for me. The large frames 615mm top tube is a little too short and the 20.5" seat tube is just a touch too long. Its unfortunately looking like 26" frames aren't the best choice at the moment. Although I dont think 27.5" is better I do think tyre choice will be limited in the next year or two.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    are there many bikes that use a 50 mm stroke for anything greater than 140? makes for a pretty high leverage ratio.
  • rockmonkeysc
    No but I dont want more than 140mm. Ideally 120mm-130mm at the back and 140mm-160mm at the front.
    I have tried some 160mm enduro bikes and they just aren't what I want. For 90% of my riding they are too much and for that other 10% I have a downhill bike.
  • The Rookie
    Did you look at the Knolly Endorphin I suggested in your other thread, a mate has one, he runs 2.35HD's on it so the same radius as a 650B on a 26" rim, I reckoned it could just about run a 2.25" on a 650B (don't take that as a guarantee), he loves it and uses it everywhere, Antur uplifts to all dayers in the lakes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Endorphine 27.5 frame looks perfect other than being £400 more than a Scout.
    Spot on geometry for what I want and great reviews.