Talk to me about hubs...

Angus Young
Angus Young Posts: 3,063
edited February 2015 in MTB general
I'm running Superstar Carbon AM wheels on Tesla hubs. Absolutely love the wheels so I'm wondering what upgrading the hubs might give me. The wheels cost a mere £599 so I'm assuming the Teslas are not the best hubs in the world, so what might I expect to notice, performance wise, if I were to spend a fair bit on better hubs and what are the best hubs out there? Bear in mind that I'll not be leaping 40 foot road gaps any time soon, so ultimate strength is not number one on the list of priorities.
All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A bit lighter weight, better bearings (but you may as well replace the ones in your hubs to get that) and if you listen to RMSC a freehub that doesn't fall apart all the time as his power awesome keeps breaking them, although no-one else does.

To be honest unless you have to changing hubs is poor value as you'll be paying for new hubs, spokes and nipples and the build (so circa £50-60 a wheel PLUS the costs of the hubs), you may as well pay out for new wheels and at least have a set to sell.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    You can save weight, get faster pickup, stronger... not normally all three. Teslas are an ok hub, the money you spend to update them isn't worth it. Wait 'til you trash the wheels then look for a complete set would be my advise.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Angus Young
    Thanks guys. So, hubs are not the most productive way to spend money on the bike. I do like the idea of "save weight, get faster pickup" though.

To throw something else into the pot, I'm thinking of going XX1 and am I right in thinking that you need a new rear hub for that? If that's true then I'm going to be into the hub thing anyway.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    No need for a new hub to go xx1, just the freehub which superstar sell separately.
  • Angus Young
    Antm81 wrote:
    No need for a new hub to go xx1, just the freehub which superstar sell separately.

Ah, O.K., thanks.
  • wheels cost a mere £599

Seriously? That's loads of dosh.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Seriously? That's loads of dosh

Relative innit. For carbon wheels that's cheap. For UK bought carbon wheels it's incredibly cheap.

Echo what everyone else has said - not much point changing what you have with existing rims - if you're desperate for something lighter/faster/stronger/betterer then flog your wheels and replace!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Tesla hub isnt bad, its the same as the Halo Tornado so hss had a good amount of development over the years, it was an old design before Superstar started using them.
    You could soend a heap of cash on Chris King hubs but they are a bit high maintenance. DT Swiss hubs will be more reliable and lighter.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    Hope hubs have the best "click"
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • Can't go wrong with DT or Hope. DT 350 are excellent value, bit cheaper than Hope but you don't get the pick up and bring. DT 240 are lightweight, strong and pick up better but come at a price. I9 and American Classic are alternative options.

I'd sell the wheels and do a fresh build as you can look to make some savings with the rims and spokes too and not sacrifice performance.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Maro wrote:

I wouldnt replace my hope hubs with anything else but i do find the noise a bit annoying sometimes. It would be nice if they were quieter.
  • Angus Young
    bit cheaper than Hope but you don't get the pick up and bring.

What's "bring"?
    Maro wrote:

I wouldnt replace my hope hubs with anything else but i do find the noise a bit annoying sometimes. It would be nice if they were quieter.

Same with the Teslas. They're quite loud. Doesn't seem to bother me as much as I thought it would but, still, it's not what I wanted. I took my eye off the ball on that front.
  • Maro wrote:

Have you heard the E:13 TRS frehub? batshit mental, its like being followed by a swarm of bees.
  • bit cheaper than Hope but you don't get the pick up and bring.

What's bring?
    It's bling for people that can't type...
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Angus Young
    bit cheaper than Hope but you don't get the pick up and bring.

What's bring?
    It's bling for people that can't type...

Ah... :)
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I've been really impressed with my dt350's (only had them 3 months though), got the star ratchet upgrade and engagement is great. makes a nice noise too!!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I like DT 350s :)

16635523326_f2b161630f_b.jpg
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Angus Young
    Now that's greedy!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    350s do seem a good alternative to Hope, not 240 money, but better than their Onyx hub of old, which was shit.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm liking my Novatech 772, 3 pawl design and snappy pick up, fairly light (similar to hope at 276g) but the alloy freehub has a steel insert in the wide spline to prevent digging in, best of all it is as quiet as a church mouse (the Novatech/Superstar Trizoid on my old wheels buzzes like an angry hornet) which I appreciate.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.