Headset cap won't come off

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Hi,

Im attempting to service my headset and for some reason i can't get the head set cap off. By this i mean the cap that is closest to the frame and not the top cap.

I can get it about 3 inches up the carbon steerer tube however it won't budge after then. I have never had this issue before and have serviced a few headsets before.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• Is it a carbon steerer?
    If it is then it's probably getting stuck at the point where the expander bung is positioned in the steerer tube. If you slacken this off a little it should allow you to slide the cap over it to get it off.
  • Yes it is carbon. How do I slacken that off?
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Look at the hole in the center of the bung where the screw goes in. Around the hole should be a hexagonal depression where you put in a hex key (this expands/loosens the bung).
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ouija wrote:
    Look at the hole in the center of the bung where the screw goes in. Around the hole should be a hexagonal depression where you put in a hex key (this expands/loosens the bung).

Exactly.

When loosening only do enough so that you can get the cap over - if you loosen some too much they lose their shape and are a bit of a faff to reinstall.

Just loosening it should do the job nicely.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.