Which gear and brake cables?

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Need to replace my brake and gear cables. Possibly looking at some full length ones to help against the weather and anything else that can get in.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Does anyone have experience of the jagwire cables?

Comments

• Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Used full goodridge on the best bike - cost lots, works fine.

Use normal Shimano from the big box box on the shelf in the shop for all the other Shimano equipped bikes - work just as well as the Goodridge, changed once a year.

£12 for a full set (inners and outers for both gear and brake) from the big box.

Up to you really, but overall if I had my time again I would just stick with ones from the big box.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I personally rate Jagwire- their more basic cables came installed on my bike 4 years ago and I've only just replaced them.
    The gear cables were changed a couple of times in between, but the brake cables survived all the way. I'll be going with their Racer/ Road pro when I build up a new frame.

But really, even the fairly cheap cables are pretty good- most have a teflon liner in the outers, and then the odd squirt of GT-85 will work wonders. If you buy teflon coated inner cables it'll also reduce the amount of rusting that might happen out of sight during the winter months and aren't very expensive.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    For gear cables, I'd get the newer Shimano polymer-coated ones. Brake cables are all pretty much of a muchness.