Pro race cross thread *spoilers*

18910111214»

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Youngest cross world champion ever. Took his dad about 15 years at the top of cross before he managed to become world champion. Mathieu does it in his first year at the pros...

Van Aert 2nd, 20 years old; Van der Haar 3rd, 23 years old. Proper generational shift this
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    Thought he might have over cooked it when Van der Haar started to catch him - but had paced it perfectly. Van Aert rode a good race after injuring his wrist.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    oh no sir, au contraire, waiting to see the laaste ronde on Vier or Sporza to understand what happened to make Cant rant.

Nothing happened, she was just out sprinted. She was, however, utterly crushed by that and was very emotional. I felt really sorry for her. The "controversy" hinges on whether or not you think people should pretend to be happy with second place for the podium - because she really didnt! Vos wasnt exactly a bundle of joy either...

Secondly, it must be slightly irksome to race a whole season, dominate completely and then get beaten by riders like PFP and Voss who just drop in for one race...But that's the way of all World Champs

If you google image "Sanne Cant podium", she doesnt seem to make much of an effort on any of the lower steps of a podium in fairness and without wanting to bring down a storm of feminism, she has a face like thunder even when she's happy...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    ddraver wrote:
    oh no sir, au contraire, waiting to see the laaste ronde on Vier or Sporza to understand what happened to make Cant rant.

Secondly, it must be slightly irksome to race a whole season, dominate completely and then get beaten by riders like PFP and Voss who just drop in for one race...But that's the way of all World Champs.

And therein lies the flaw in having 1 race/ event to decide a Championship.... And that goes for a lot of sports. I far prefer a season of events to decide the champion.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    AndyRAC wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Secondly, it must be slightly irksome to race a whole season, dominate completely and then get beaten by riders like PFP and Voss who just drop in for one race...But that's the way of all World Champs.

And therein lies the flaw in having 1 race/ event to decide a Championship.... And that goes for a lot of sports. I far prefer a season of events to decide the champion.

I thought it was just symptomatic of the lack of interest in woman's cycling. I posted that Ferrand-Prevot had won her second world title at the age of 22 and got not one single response.
  • ddraver
    I was watching and following on twitter

Laurens van Rooijen ‏@bikejourno
    Good thing @mathieuvdpoel won the #Worlds title in Tabor/Europe and not in the United States. Chap would be too young for champagne or beer!

Fair point
    - @ddraver
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    edited February 2015
    plus I'm saving up couch potato time for the big show tomorrow - the cross worlds and SuperBowl on the same day - this must be heaven!
    I'm getting the beers ready for the kick off in 3 hours and the bed in 6 hours. I hope Seahawks but think it will be Pats

Well a great race with things happening behind the winner who had taken the lead by the end of lap one and with all the Zig Zags of the course he was able to keep his eye on the others.
    1 Mathieu van der Poel (Netherlands) 1:09:12....... 2015 World Champion
    2 Wout Van Aert (Belgium) 0:00:15
    3 Lars van der Haar (Netherlands) 0:00:17
    4 Kevin Pauwels (Belgium) 0:01:06
    5 Klaas Vantornout (Belgium) 0:01:12
    6 Tom Meeusen (Belgium) 0:01:17
    7 Gianni Vermeersch (Belgium) 0:02:26
    8 Marcel Meisen (Germany) 0:02:37
    9 Philipp Walsleben (Germany) 0:02:43
    10 Marco Aurelio Fontana (Italy) 0:02:54

Van Aert had a crash somewhere and came back very strong to get 2nd place.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • FJS wrote:
    Youngest cross world champion ever. Took his dad about 15 years at the top of cross before he managed to become world champion. Mathieu does it in his first year at the pros...

Van Aert 2nd, 20 years old; Van der Haar 3rd, 23 years old. Proper generational shift this

Pretty amazing rider that guy is. Pure class. The 'old guard' got smoked big time.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I know eh? Last year was all about two titanic veterans fighting it out. This year was all change. Nice to see it too.

About Cant, Nys could have been similarly peeved at Stybar who kinda showed up and stole the show. And this year in the elite mens #10 was an Italian XC racer - I think the same ragazzo who rode to Olympic bronze with a busted seatpost. I mean, where has Fontana been all cross season?

Maybe it's the rules of cross which need revamping? Guessing totally how qualification works, I would suppose that pro roadies with good off-road technical skills can place well in their Nationals thereby earning a WC spot...that's tough to stomach for the full-timers. But what's the point of a WC with all Belgos, some Dutch and maybe a smattering of 3-4 other nations?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • ddraver
    Kind of agree with you really. But there were a number if mutterings about how unfortunate it is that "we wouldn't see the Rainbow Jersey in cross next year" when Stybar won. Sanne doesn't seem to have been given the same benefit of doubt

Yes, Fontaine rides XC usually. In fairness 10th is a pretty good ride for him!
    - @ddraver
  • tumblr_nj476xAPEa1swtjjuo1_500.gif
    Contador is the Greatest
  • 10375152_10153122348089271_4575433662673298456_n.jpg?oh=d4d8496d787f3aef6c18d2470aac29f8&oe=55530136&__gda__=1432183072_92f7d261700c3c2a2872a2483b22e99c
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tumblr_nj476xAPEa1swtjjuo1_500.gif

Whilst that technique might not please the eye of the purist, I can see the logic. If the rear wheel never leaves the ground, it therefore can't be dropped on the ground, and therefore you can't ship a chain. Also a good blocking tool no?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    If someone full time wants to be world champion but can't beat someone who does it once a year they need to get better.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    gsk82 wrote:
    If someone full time wants to be world champion but can't beat someone who does it once a year they need to get better.

Nail. Head.
  • ddraver
    The alternative view being that the person racing full time has had to race for 4/5 months whereas the part timer can drop in totally fresh

Sanne Cant makes her money racing cross in the einter, PFP makes it racing in the summer. Cant cant just take the month before the WC off
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    antsmithmk wrote:
    tumblr_nj476xAPEa1swtjjuo1_500.gif

Whilst that technique might not please the eye of the purist, I can see the logic. If the rear wheel never leaves the ground, it therefore can't be dropped on the ground, and therefore you can't ship a chain. Also a good blocking tool no?

I think you re overthinking it a bit...
    - @ddraver
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    edited October 2015
    7th February Bpost Bank Trophy - Lille,Belgium

World champion Mathieu Van der Poel (BKCP-Powerplus) solos to the win and the Sprint with Sven Nys for second place was won by Van Aert to secure the overall Bpost Bank Trophy series
    Newly crowned elite men's world champion, Mathieu Van der Poel (BKCP-Powerplus) debuted his rainbow jersey in winning fashion at the Bpost Bank Trophy finale in Lille on Saturday.
    1 Mathieu Van der Poel (Ned) BKCP - Powerplus Cycling Team
    2 Wout Van Aert (Bel) Vastgoedservice - Golden Palace Cycling Team
    3 Sven Nys (Bel) Crelan - AA Drink Team
    4 Lars Van Der Haar (Ned) Team Giant - Alpecin
    5 Kevin Pauwels (Bel) Sunweb - Napoleon Games Cycling Team
    6 Vincent Baestaens (Bel) BKCP - Powerplus Cycling Team
    7 Tim Merlier (Bel) Sunweb - Napoleon Games Cycling Team
    8 Marcel Meisen (Ger) Corendon - KwadrO Cycling Team
    9 Philipp Walsleben (Ger) BKCP - Powerplus Cycling Team
    10 Tom Meeusen (Bel) Telenet Fidea Cycling Team

8th February Superprestige Hoogstraten Elite Men:
    Van der Poel wins Superprestige in Hoogstraten Belgium
    On Sunday, he rode another race-long time trial on the muddy course of the penultimate Superprestige round,
    If there were any doubts cast over Mathieu van der Poel's victory at the World Championships from last week in Tabor then he wiped those away with the back-to-back wins this weekend.

1 Mathieu Van der Poel (Ned) 1:00:20
    2 Kevin Pauwels (Bel) 0:00:20
    3 Wout Van Aert (Bel) 0:00:37
    4 Lars Van Der Haar (Ned) 0:01:09
    5 Klaas Vantornout (Bel) 0:01:56
    6 Sven Nys (Bel) 0:02:11
    7 Tom Meeusen (Bel) 0:02:17
    8 Jens Adams (Bel) 0:02:25

Final Superprestige 15th February 2015 Noordzeecross Middelkerke BEL
    1 Tom Meeusen (Bel) Telenet-Fidea Cycling Team 0:57:32
    2 Kevin Pauwels (Bel) Sunweb-Napoleon Games Cycling Team 0:00:19
    3 Sven Nys (Bel) Crelan-AA Drink Cycling Team 0:00:29
    4 Lars van der Haar (Ned) Rabobank Development Team 0:00:30
    5 Klaas Vantornout (Bel) Sunweb-Napoleon Games Cycling Team 0:01:03
    6 Thijs van Amerongen (Ned) AA Drink Cycling Team 0:01:07
    7 Niels Albert (Bel) BKCP-Powerplus Cycling Team 0:01:12

Nys managed the final podium spot and that third place was enough to overtake Niels Albert and take a thirteenth overall win in the Superprestige series.
    Final Superprestige standings
    1 Sven Nys (Bel) Crelan-AA Drink Cycling Team 101 pts
    2 Niels Albert (Bel) BKCP-Powerplus Cycling Team 101
    3 Tom Meeusen (Bel) Telenet-Fidea Cycling Team 84
    4 Klaas Vantornout (Bel) Sunweb-Napoleon Games Cycling Team 83
    5 Philipp Walsleben (Ger) BKCP-Powerplus 77
    6 Lars van der Haar (Ned) Rabobank Development Team 75
    7 Kevin Pauwels (Bel) Sunweb-Napoleon Games Cycling Team 57
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • tumblr_nk0yxaDtCb1qbw072o1_500.gif
    Contador is the Greatest
  • In case you missed this ridiculous thing some cross riders got up to:
    http://www.cxhairs.com/2015/02/18/the-r ... anslation/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • In case you missed this ridiculous thing some cross riders got up to:
    http://www.cxhairs.com/2015/02/18/the-r ... anslation/

Bizarre!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
  • "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Het Nieuwsblad reports that Belgian cyclocross star Tom Meeusen is suspected of taking injections of Vaminolact, an infant medication. According to reports, doping investigators found the infusion materiel in his camper.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/02/ ... hxPAebQ.99
  • shazzz wrote:
    Het Nieuwsblad reports that Belgian cyclocross star Tom Meeusen is suspected of taking injections of Vaminolact, an infant medication. According to reports, doping investigators found the infusion materiel in his camper.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/02/ ... hxPAebQ.99

From my reading yesterday it seems that his violation is bascially a contradiction of the "No Needles" policy, as it isn't banned if taken orally.

There was some controversy before the worlds about his inclusion because this was coming down the line.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Yeah, I read the same re needles being the problem. Still a potential 2 year ban though...