What to do with busted frame?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited March 2015 in MTB general
Aside from sawing it in half and chucking it, any arty farty ideas?
Will be stripped of parts so just the bare frame... seems a shame to just chuck it!

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    On the wall in the lounge if your still single, on the garage wall of you are not
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Canyon?

I would cut the head tube off and mount it on the wall. Bin the rest/weight it in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I belueve the standard use for a broken frame is to photograph it then put pictures on every bike forum slagging off the manufacturer and over exagerate how it nearly decapitated you and almost severely injured everyone within ten miles because it was welded by illegal immigrants. Dont forget to claim you were just riding along the canal tow path when it broke and you have never ridden it off road.
    Or you could beat it with a big spanner while heckling mates at races. I have a Giant XTC frame with broken drop out for that.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Take the front triangle, a handle bar and bash the living shite out of it at an MTB race. Frames make the best heckling devices ever. Particular Morewood triangles and Fox 40 stanchions.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I'm +1 for the heckling device, but I asked the missus and she suggested using it as a trellis for climbing plants in the garden!
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • lawman wrote:
    Take the front triangle, a handle bar and bash the living shite out of it at an MTB race. Frames make the best heckling devices ever. Particular Morewood triangles and Fox 40 stanchions.

Ahh yes!! always wanted to do this haha.

Yeah the Canyon.. one of the rear pivot mounts ovalised thanks to a bushing/split spacer chewing into the frame. Possibly due to a loose bolt, not sure tbh. It just knocks its tits off now :(

Looks like its been on its way for a while, must have taken a big chunk out or slipped at BPW last weekend.

Still, new frame should be turning up tomorrow :D
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Plasma cutter. Cut frame down the tubes lengthwise so you end up with a perfect half frame polish up the ragged edges and you have an awesome piece of wall art.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • I belueve the standard use for a broken frame is to photograph it then put pictures on every bike forum slagging off the manufacturer and over exagerate how it nearly decapitated you and almost severely injured everyone within ten miles because it was welded by illegal immigrants. Dont forget to claim you were just riding along the canal tow path when it broke and you have never ridden it off road.
    Or you could beat it with a big spanner while heckling mates at races. I have a Giant XTC frame with broken drop out for that.

Ha, missed this!

Nah not slagging off the frame, its taken a tonne of abuse, neglect and lack of servicing. surprised it lasted 4 years!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Come on. Cut the head (tube) off and mount it on a plaque and put it on your wall.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    You could use the rear triangle as the basis of a wheel-truing stand.
  • trouble with that is that it's only good for rears. Unless you know a good bodge?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    stubs wrote:
    Plasma cutter. Cut frame down the tubes lengthwise so you end up with a perfect half frame polish up the ragged edges and you have an awesome piece of wall art.
    Digging this suggestion!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    jimothy78 wrote:
    its what i have done with the rear of my Carbon HT that died.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    jimothy78 wrote:
    trouble with that is that it's only good for rears. Unless you know a good bodge?

All you'd need is a couple of spacers the right size to centre the wheel in the frame. It doesn't have to be load-bearing, so I reckon a bit of copper pipe or similar would do for QR hubs - a rear QR skewer would then hold it all in place.

Thru-axles would be slightly trickier, but I reckon a length of 12mm ID, 15mm OD tube 142mm long, and then a couple of shorter lengths of 15mm ID tube and bob's your uncle.
  • VWsurfbum
    Luckily i've only had to do rears, but the above solution is easy enough to do.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum
    broken_zpsfc08d54c.jpg
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    6dcf6756369f5322d5960e1d36c99f2b.jpg
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Build a drift trike!!!

:mrgreen:
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I belueve the standard use for a broken frame is to photograph it then put pictures on every bike forum slagging off the manufacturer and over exagerate how it nearly decapitated you and almost severely injured everyone within ten miles because it was welded by illegal immigrants. Dont forget to claim you were just riding along the canal tow path when it broke and you have never ridden it off road.
    I thought it was the law that you have to say it was only the fact that you were wearing a helmet that stopped you dying to death.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I thought it was the law that you have to say it was only the fact that you were wearing a helmet that stopped you dying to death.

This is only true if you were wearing a helmet. If you weren't, you need to quote one of the emergency service personnel as having said that if you'd been wearing a helmet you'd be dead now.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er