Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

Comments

• How many miles do people seem to be getting out of the Schwalbe Ones?

I've just ordered a pair of 28s from Bike 24 ready as a spare for when the current ones need replacing, I fancy giving the Hutchinson Sector 28 a go but the price is still so good on the Schwalbe Ones at the moment it's hard not to stick with them.

On the Italian forums they rave about the Hutchincon Atom Galactik which at the moment are 28 pounds on CRC... only 23 mm though
    left the forum March 2023
  • "How many miles do people seem to be getting out of the Schwalbe Ones?"

Believe Steve Abraham is using them in his "Tommy Goodwin" record attempt so that should provide some useful data
  • Not that many... I would assume 2-3K tops
  • Thanks for the info.

If I get close to 2000 miles then that's Ok with me, I may have to have a look at some reviews on the Atom Galactik model.

Cheers.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Just ordered Schwalbe One's in 25c and sealant from starbike. They were 35Eur each

Crafty Germans put an extra 5er on the 25c ones! :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ribble offering nice prices on Ones, but no stock.
  • Ribble offering nice prices on Ones, but no stock.

Don't you just love when they do that?
    "If I had them, I would sell them for half the price, but I don't have any... "
    Planet X excels in that kind of nonsense
  • Yeah, the "show all availability" link on PX should really be renamed "Engage disappointment".
  • Ribble were showing stock on 23s last week. I didn't mention as I was planning to order this week...
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • cattytown wrote:
    Ribble were showing stock on 23s last week. I didn't mention as I was planning to order this week...

Consider yourself banned from this thread... :wink:
  • ddraver
    Having been Gazumped on Bike-discount AND acycles I did keep Starbike quiet too...
    - @ddraver
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    I've bought the Hutchinson Atom Galactiks on Ugo's say so ;-)

So I'll know who to blame if a 23mm tyre doesn't sit well on a 24mm rim :-o
  • munkster wrote:
    I've bought the Hutchinson Atom Galactiks on Ugo's say so ;-)

So I'll know who to blame if a 23mm tyre doesn't sit well on a 24mm rim :-o

I want feedback ASAP as they are on my to do list...

Mind you, I should get a pair of IRC to test for my blog... I think they cost over 100 quid each... :shock:
  • munkster
    Well, be patient if I'm your only hope, I haven't built the wheels yet..!
  • Ones back in on Ribble. All flavours £26.50
  • munkster
    Ones back in on Ribble. All flavours £26.50

If they were, they aren't any more... :shock:
  • I think he looked at the non tubeless...
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    my One 25's have arrived from Hibike.
    32euro each.

Also, just measured my 28's on Ultegra wheels and they measure at 30mm.
    No wonder i have been struggling to get them past the 6800 caliper when inflated

Matt

This. I got all excited for a moment, thinking I was ahead of the stock notification from Ribble.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)

I'm reasonably sure I didn't, but that's a possibility.
  • munkster
    The non-tubeless ones are the price you suggested, the tubeless ones are listed as dearer (and out of stockier...) ;-)
  • I wonder if these would work tubeless?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/michelin-pro4-e ... -700-x-28/
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I wonder if these would work tubeless?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/michelin-pro4-e ... -700-x-28/

If you can run them under 60-70 PSI, you have a chance to convert a tyre by using latex emulsion, but if you need higher pressure you do want a tubeless tyre to avoid the hospital

read my article

http://whosatthewheel.com/2015/02/21/cl ... -tubulars/
  • ddraver
    Well, on 2WayFit Fulcrum Racing 3s, Schwalbe Ones went on and up fine with no issues

Struggling to see what all they fuss is about really. Still, have nt ridden them yet...
    - @ddraver
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    ddraver wrote:
    Well, on 2WayFit Fulcrum Racing 3s, Schwalbe Ones went on and up fine with no issues

Struggling to see what all they fuss is about really.

Try fitting them onto a Pacenti SL23, then try saying the same thing! :evil:
  • ddraver
    I suppose I should add that I have a little amount of experience having done it on the MTB

I should add that this is way easier when using proper kit with new tyres (ie ones that have nt already been cut somewhere). I see a lot of criticisms of tubeless being hard to set up, but if you read further you find out that they ve used non-tubeless tyres, bodged the rim strip with a BMX inner tube and made their own sealant from butter and olive oil.

I need to sort out what tyre pressure to use now though - going like for like was a mistake!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    I suppose I should add that I have a little amount of experience having done it on the MTB

I should add that this is way easier when using proper kit with new tyres (ie ones that have nt already been cut somewhere). I see a lot of criticisms of tubeless being hard to set up, but if you read further you find out that they ve used non-tubeless tyres, bodged the rim strip with a BMX inner tube and made their own sealant from butter and olive oil.

I need to sort out what tyre pressure to use now though - going like for like was a mistake!

As a rule of thumb I would go for 1 Bar less, given same real size. I am 72 Kg and use Schwalbe ONE (real 27 mm) at 75 PSI
  • DKay
    ddraver wrote:

Speaking from personal eperience, fitting tubeless MTB tyres is a doddle compared to to certain combinations of road tubeless tyres and rims. SL23 rims are notorious for being a bugger.
  • munkster
    Speaking from personal eperience, fitting tubeless MTB tyres is a doddle compared to to certain combinations of road tubeless tyres and rims. SL23 rims are notorious for being a bugger.

I'm very much looking forward to this battle (NOT!) :cry:
  • DKay
    munkster wrote:

I'm very much looking forward to this battle (NOT!) :cry:

You may find it easier, maybe not. Maybe I'm just crap at fitting tyres, although I've done it plenty of times before without any issues. It probably didn't help that I was fitting the tyres in a cold room.