Help me spend 1200 rubs on carbon clinchers

Fishboyz
Fishboyz Posts: 152
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Bit of a minefield what with weights and claimed weights....I've run Zipp 404 tubs before and although seems a nice ride the rear hub was plagued with coming loose and overall the rim being very nice I wasn't all that impressed.

I like the idea of a wider rim of say 24+mm and usually ride a 28mm tyre...although my heart longs for super light shimano c35's my brain won't let me go down the tub route again as just too much hassle...

ideally non red decals, around 1350g and profile up to 40mm...oh and be nice if they didn't fall apart with a bit of braking..

My short list is Reynolds strike, Vision metron 40, DT Swiss RC28...all should be in budget of less than a grand with some good deals around

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Do you mean the Reynolds Assault SLG? The Strike is 62mm...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • November 34's at Strada. Several choices of hubs and handbuilt so easily fixed. Or maybe Farsports from China for around £500 - if you're willing to take the risk (google for plenty of reviews).
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    2014 bontrager Aelous may be worth a look? Not sure of price, rrp is about £1800 for the set but I know they are being sold cheaper if you look about.
    I've got them as best bike wheels, only used for summer. Very nice, about 1450g, I would estimate about 50grs more than the advertised weight. Still nice wheels though, 35mm deep. Braking is fine, look good and the hubs ride well. They're not overly hit by crosswinds being a slightly shallower depth but still give a good aero feel at speeds about 22moh, but that could be placebo, who knows!
    I've tried a fair few wheels and in good weather they are my go to wheel. I'm not going to bad mouth other manufacturers but I do like these wheels as an all round reasonably light weight carbon clincher.
  • Fishboyz
    Fishboyz Posts: 152
    Sorry it was the Reynolds Attack I've been looking at
  • w00dster wrote:
    2014 bontrager Aelous may be worth a look? Not sure of price, rrp is about £1800 for the set

£1800 for carbon clinchers?

Jesus wept.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    Miles253 wrote:

I'm seriously looking at these. Appear excellent value.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I had/have many sets of Reynolds. Haven't let me down yet so I just keep recommending them.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Get the Reynolds... they are tried and tested and market leader in this sort of stuff.

Otherwise get some less known brand that has been tested by a magazine in Suffolk and shxt in your pants when you take them down the Glandon, wishing you bought the Reynolds instead
    left the forum March 2023
  • Gaz777
    Gaz777 Posts: 84
    I've got a set of Reynolds Assaults. I've not had a chance to do that many miles on them yet, but what I have done, I've really liked. Braking performance with the supplied pads seems good too.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    johnny25 wrote:
    Miles253 wrote:

I'm seriously looking at these. Appear excellent value.

Then you seriously need to look at Far Sports.

Mine have been excellent.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro