First XC race Sunday - Tyre Question!

dirkpitt74
dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
edited February 2015 in MTB general
Guys,
Doing my first XC race on Sunday - The Cannock Chase Winter Classic.
We did a course ride last weekend (for a small donation to charity as the course isn't usually released) and it was pretty muddy in places.
Struggled for traction on a couple of the climbs and I'm guessing it won't have dried out with the rain we've had this week.
And with a couple of groups ahead of mine it's probably gonna be quite cut up/gloopy.

I currently run Conti Mountain Kings front & rear.

I have sitting in the garage a pair of 2.2 width Geax Datura 'Wet weather/mud' tyre:
20150225_180729_zpsnayvsydr.jpg

I also have 2.4 width Mountain King sitting around.

Question is which tyre do I put on the back?

Comments

• Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Mountain kings are pretty aggressive tyres anyway aren't they? How much did you struggle for traction?

Personally I'd be wary changing tyres right before a race - unless you've got time today or tomorrow to give them a ride and see how they are and if you like them better.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Definitely not a 2.4" MK. That Geax looks like the Beaver/XR Mud/Dirty Dan/Storm, which are all very competent winter tyres. Can be a bit draggy depending on weight and compound though, I've never specifically seen those.

You need to weigh up how much time you might lose on the slippery bits versus how much you'll lose on any firmer bits by running a more aggressive tyre. If the answer is "loads" then fit the Geax, if the answer is "none" stick with the MKs.
  • Cheers guys.
    The Geax is a 'soft compound' apparently.
    The route doesn't have much loose stuff on it (only really around the start/finish).
    Might stick with the MK and drop the pressures a bit more.