Pairing 810 with speed/cadence sensor

BillyImp
BillyImp Posts: 130
edited February 2015 in Road general
When I first set up my speed/cadence sensor it took about 20 minutes for the Garmin to find it, I had to repeatedly press the search button over and over until it eventually found it. Once paired, then every ride it would have no problems with finding the sensor again straight away. Now, after 10 days off the bike they seem to have forgotten about each other again and it's an absolute nightmare trying to get the two to pair. I go into speed/cadence sensor on the 810, press search and it can't find it. Am I doing something wrong? I've tried pressing the little button on the sensor and then pairing and I've tried pedalling and then pairing too.

Comments

• gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    have you tried taking the battery out, putting it back in the wrong way for a few mins, then putting it back in the right way and re-scanning for it? thats worked for me in the past.

ive not got an 810 but on the 800 to pair its - settings, bike settings, bike profiles, choose relevant bike, ant + speed/cadence, search. I presume its a similar process on the 810 (i'm sure an 810 owner will confirm whether its right or not).
    hope this helps

Ps also make sure magnets/sensor are positioned correctly
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • BillyImp
    gaz047 wrote:
    have you tried taking the battery out, putting it back in the wrong way for a few mins, then putting it back in the right way and re-scanning for it? thats worked for me in the past.

ive not got an 810 but on the 800 to pair its - settings, bike settings, bike profiles, choose relevant bike, ant + speed/cadence, search. I presume its a similar process on the 810 (i'm sure an 810 owner will confirm whether its right or not).
    hope this helps

Ps also make sure magnets/sensor are positioned correctly

Thanks for the tip but unfortunately no luck with that, everything is set up correctly, the sensor flashes green or red when the cadence or speed sensor passes it. I've tried replacing the battery, turning off and forgetting all other sensors, turning bluetooth off but still no luck. Like I said, when I first got it it did seem to struggle to pair but after a few attempts it finally found it and has been connecting with no problems ever since. Now I've had a period off the bike they seem to have forgotten each other again with no way of re-connecting! Any other suggestions?
    Cheers
  • The sensors only transmit when they sense movement. If you press search on the 810 then spin the cranks and wheel it should pair with no problem.
    If you only press search on the 810 and do nothing else there is nothing to wake up the sensors.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    have you got another sensor on another bike nearby that is confusing it?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • BillyImp
    The sensors only transmit when they sense movement. If you press search on the 810 then spin the cranks and wheel it should pair with no problem.
    If you only press search on the 810 and do nothing else there is nothing to wake up the sensors.

I've been spinning those cranks like crazy in desperation and still no luck
  • BillyImp
    t4tomo wrote:
    have you got another sensor on another bike nearby that is confusing it?
    No, I've even got the sensor ID number written down and have tried typing that in on the speed/cadence info section and it still can't find it. Most odd. It clearly works as it has done for the last month or so, it just can't connect for some absurd reason, and when you are house bound with illness it's things like this that can drive you insane lol :lol::lol:
  • BillyImp
    Reluctantly just reset my Garmin and that hasn't helped either. Really baffled by this one.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    BillyImp wrote:
    I've been spinning those cranks like crazy in desperation and still no luck

Spin faster :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Which sensor are you using? The old Garmin GCS-10 sensors can be awkward buggers and cause problems for no discernible reason, whereas the new ones that don't rely on magnets are much easier to connect.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • BillyImp
    The older GCS - 10, I've given up and returning it under warranty now. I didn't know there were newly released sensors? Might have to look at those instead of an exchange for the same model
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    BillyImp wrote:
    The older GCS - 10, I've given up and returning it under warranty now. I didn't know there were newly released sensors? Might have to look at those instead of an exchange for the same model

They're the way to go and much easier to swap between bikes if you only have one set of sensors. Held on with rubber bands, the speed sensor on the rear wheel hub and the cadence sensor on the crank arm, so no cables ties on the chain stays.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • BillyImp
    philthy3 wrote:
    BillyImp wrote:

They're the way to go and much easier to swap between bikes if you only have one set of sensors. Held on with rubber bands, the speed sensor on the rear wheel hub and the cadence sensor on the crank arm, so no cables ties on the chain stays.

I checked them out after I read your post and ordered straight away, look much more straightforward and by all accounts have far less connectivity issues. Cheers :)