Bontrager parts on non-Trek

Banno
Banno Posts: 63
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
I am currently running a 2012 Madone with Bontrager components and new Aelous 5 D3 wheels.
I fancy a change and was going to get a new frame and transfer most of the bits.

Is there anything wrong with using Bontrager parts (including wheels) on a non-Trek frame? :?

I really do rate their stuff very highly and I did it when I built up my Kinesis winter bike as it just kept everything familiar, but now I'm not so sure.

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    It'll be fine as long as the steerer tube is the same (1 1/8th). The seatpost diameter and seat clamp might be a different size though.

The wheels will fit fine.

What frame are you transferring to ?
  • Banno
    Yeah everything is the same, I was just wondering about the Trek/Bontrager connection.
    I wouldn't use Bontrager parts on a Specialized or visa versa.

I'm thinking about a KTM Revelator Prestige. I have their 3500 (ex KTM Racing UK Team frame) and its a cracking frame.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    I wouldn't use Bontrager parts on a Specialized or visa versa.

I would,and i couldnt care less. They are only graphics and logo's. Unless there is some kind of 'image' your going for ? :)
  • Banno
    Cheers. I hadn't really cared about doing it this way before, but got a sudden 'did I leave the gas on' feeling wondering if it's just...wrong!!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    Only to people with very small penises...

Trek own Bontrager is all. Keith Bontrager is an MTB legend.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Banno
    ddraver wrote:
    Only to people with very small penises...

You been talking to my missus???? :oops:
  • Why would it be an issue? I have a few Bontrager parts on my Scott CR1 - stem, saddle, seatpost, bottle cages, mostly because it was originally a Trek 2.1 and I changed the frame and a lot of other parts. I quite like that they are there actually, reminds me of the bikes heritage.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I have Boardman seats on both my both my bikes but only one is a Boardman bike.
    They are cheap and I find them comfy.
  • Banno
    Thanks all so far for putting my mind at ease!