What Rotor crank will fit a Sram GXP BB?????

Mreckless
Mreckless Posts: 214
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at buying a new Rotor 3d crank with q rings. Just wondering what BB i will nee to buy with it to fit into a Giant TCR which currently has a sram gxp BB. Thanks

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Rotor do a BB for the 3d to fit threaded shells.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Ok so are all Rotor cranks the same thread? or are some BB30 and some BB86
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Mreckless wrote:
    Ok so are all Rotor cranks the same thread? or are some BB30 and some BB86
    Cranks don't have a thread...
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Mreckless wrote:
    Ok so are all Rotor cranks the same thread? or are some BB30 and some BB86

Rotor makes several cranks for several BB standards, but not for GXP brackets.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Giant is press fit, so pop out the old GXP cups, in with these -

http://www.velotechservices.co.uk/shop/ ... 7410001832

then ad 3D+ chainset as far as I can see. Hope this helps if not call Velotech who sell Rotor who can advise.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Giant is press fit, so pop out the old GXP cups, in with these -

http://www.velotechservices.co.uk/shop/ ... 7410001832

then ad 3D+ chainset as far as I can see. Hope this helps if not call Velotech who sell Rotor who can advise.

The OP said 3D not 3D+. 3D+ are 30mm diameter axle whereas 3D are 24mm diameter.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    if it's 3D and the TCR runs a pressfit BB then you need a BB86 pressfit. Shimano do them, as do others
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    maddog 2 wrote:
    if it's 3D and the TCR runs a pressfit BB then you need a BB86 pressfit. Shimano do them, as do others

This. It's what I run on my Plasma.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Ok so if i buy a Rotor crankset which is BB30 i can buy a BB from rotor that will fit my giant?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    You could but you're better off buying the regular Rotor 3D and sticking with the PF86 BB. Contrary to popular belief, there is no real advantage to a 30mm spindle.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    AFAIK Rotor don't do a BB30 crank. They do one with a 30mm axle (3D+) but that's not the same as BB30. BB30 cranks are narrower. Rotor's cranks are all full width and come in 30mm (3D+) and 24mm (3D) axles.

Having said that, they will fit a (narrower) BB30 frame with the correct BB fitted.

That's my take on it. Happy to be corrected though :roll:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Rotor 4130 BB will allow you to run the Rotor 30mm crank with your Giant. As maddog says, BB30 is too narrow - the spindle is 68mm and your BB shell is 86mm wide.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..