Iphone for Nav

Keyringkey
Keyringkey Posts: 30
edited February 2015 in Road beginners
Hi Guys/Gals

I have a Garmin Edge Tour Plus, which is not bad. I have only just got it and I am still playing around with it yet. The edge does not get sound for directions or to clear because of the size.

I am thinking of using my iphone for navigation and I know I will need a cycle nav app and I need to take in consideration regarding the battery life.

Any good advice would be welcoming please. 8)
560 mile cycle challenge to raise funds for. http://www.justgiving.co.uk/davidgolden

Comments

• Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    i find the best app to follow on an iphone is map my ride, its also nice and easy to plot the route on their website.

another worth checking out is Endomondo, though this has just been bought by Underarmour who also bought out mapmyride so might be about to change.

from experience endomondo was better for mapping routes but wasn't so good for following on the phone.

As for battery I found I could get about 2/3 hours out of my phone with it on constantly, if you turn of the screen and only check occasionally you can get a bit longer.

If you have anything earlier than a 6 check out the topeka panobike accessories, I've been using the case and mount since it came out and paired up with a small USB battery pack strapped to my stem it has been great and will last over 5 hours.

http://www.topeak.com/products/PanoBikeAndRideCase

worth noting I did have the topeak battery pack which was great but on the first one the USB port broke and on the replacement (free under warranty) the micro usb port also broke, so maybe avoid it and get something cheaper.
  • Unless you want to limit yourself to shorter rides or are happy carrying some form of recharging capability, I would not recommend using an iPhone for navigation.

I use an iPhone myself but I just set Cyclemeter running and leave it with the screen off until I get home. With the screen on, GPS constantly monitoring, not to mention any data being pulled down, battery life falls fast. I can comfortably run it for 4 or 5 hours without referring to it, but if I had to check my navigation it wouldn't last anything like that. If I'm on a longer ride, I will take a recharger and use it if I have to resort to navigation. If you do decide to go down the iPhone route, have a look at Cyclemeter, see if it fits your requirements any better or worse than the other alternatives.
  • Google Maps is very good for navigation, and it also includes a cycle route option. ;)

"on your bike" Norman Tebbit.
  • Motion X GPS. A tad fiddly to get used to, it doesn't do turn by turn directions rather breadcrumbs but it works brilliantly and navigated me across Europe last year. I bought a small battery pack, the size of a packet of polos, and sold my Garmin.
  • I use my iPhone with Google maps navigation. Phone in the pocket of my jersey and turn by turn voice navigation turned on. It is just loude enough to be heard. It does help to have a rough idea of the route though as it can confuse you at times. Usually lasts about 4 hours.

EDIT: sometimes you get some odd looks while waiting at traffic lights etc as your pocket is talking to you.
  • btiratsoo wrote:
    EDIT: sometimes you get some odd looks while waiting at traffic lights etc as your pocket is talking to you.

Are you sure it's the phone that's getting you the odd looks? ;)
  • Not any more!
  • btiratsoo wrote:
    I use my iPhone with Google maps navigation. Phone in the pocket of my jersey and turn by turn voice navigation turned on. It is just loude enough to be heard. It does help to have a rough idea of the route though as it can confuse you at times. Usually lasts about 4 hours.

I've tried that riding around Amsterdam City centre - but the Google pronunciation is hopeless and the street names are hard to find (usually high up on a wall) so it doesn't really work for that use.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • There may be a caveat for using Google Maps. If you also want to record the ride data for Strava or whatever, there may be a resource issue between the apps if you try to run them alongside. I ran Google Maps while having Cyclemeter running in the background and lost 10 miles worth of data when I needed navigation. Cyclemeter was fine once GM was closed again. Might have been memory resources or GM grabbing exclusive use of the GPS, I'm not sure, but worth being aware of if you plan to navigate and capture your ride.
  • Gasperoni wrote:
    Unless you want to limit yourself to shorter rides or are happy carrying some form of recharging capability, I would not recommend using an iPhone for navigation.

I use an iPhone myself but I just set Cyclemeter running and leave it with the screen off until I get home. With the screen on, GPS constantly monitoring, not to mention any data being pulled down, battery life falls fast. I can comfortably run it for 4 or 5 hours without referring to it, but if I had to check my navigation it wouldn't last anything like that. If I'm on a longer ride, I will take a recharger and use it if I have to resort to navigation. If you do decide to go down the iPhone route, have a look at Cyclemeter, see if it fits your requirements any better or worse than the other alternatives.

Thank you, I have downloaded mapmyride on to my iphone and it works good. I am cycling 85 miles on friday so this will be a good test for the iphone.
    560 mile cycle challenge to raise funds for. http://www.justgiving.co.uk/davidgolden
  • Google Maps is very good for navigation, and it also includes a cycle route option. ;)

I have tried google and even through its good, its hard to remember your route, loll. My iphone does not support cycle nav.
  • Chunky101 wrote:
    Motion X GPS. A tad fiddly to get used to, it doesn't do turn by turn directions rather breadcrumbs but it works brilliantly and navigated me across Europe last year. I bought a small battery pack, the size of a packet of polos, and sold my Garmin.

This sounds interesting how much is it and does it operate simular to mapmyride. Did you use it on your iphone?
  • Chunky101 wrote:
    Motion X GPS. A tad fiddly to get used to, it doesn't do turn by turn directions rather breadcrumbs but it works brilliantly and navigated me across Europe last year. I bought a small battery pack, the size of a packet of polos, and sold my Garmin.

I have just looked at this motion x and it seems very good. Does it navigate good. Mapmyride does not navigate.

I have also just bought a iphone carrier, bracket for my bike and also a battery charger, all off ebay for less than £20.

What further advice with the Motion X