Getting my rig race-ready

Sir.Swish
Sir.Swish Posts: 80
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
This year I hope to start competing in uk enduro events and I need to replace my wheels for something lighter and more up to date. Can anyone suggest a good value performance wheelset?

Currently running ancient Mavic 719/hope pro2 front and mavic 321/shimano m525 rear

Included some pictures so folks can point out what else I should change... and to show her off :roll:

g7bgwv.jpg
oczmov.jpg
2015 Giant Glory 1 27.5
1975 Vindec Vogue
1968 Raleigh RSW "Boris"

xX Forever in our hearts mum Xx

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Firstly its a bicycle, not a rig.
    The main things I would want to change on your bike for enduro racing are the wheels first, 719 rims are quite narrow. Something like Hope Tech Enduro or WTB i25 rims would be my choice.
    The rear shock would be next, something a bit more efficient for pedalling and a lot lighter like a Cane Creek DB Air or Rockshox Monarch Plus.
    Then the forks. I just got rid of my Revelations because of the flex. I replaced mine with a Marzocchi 350cr but a Rockshox Pike or Fox 36 is as good.
    UK Gravity enduro events require you to buy insurance and wear a full face helmet which has put me right off them. The Enduro1 series is really good though.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Firstly its a bicycle, not a rig.

Nor is it a 'her'.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • nick-gti
    nick-gti Posts: 131
    dropper post?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    what is your budget?

A dropper post - reverb from CRC

new fork - pike from bike discount.de or a mattock from CRC are a good choice

newer wheels - Pacenti TL28 Tesla EVO Ultralight Wheelset from superstar

but its a lot of cash.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I had nothing but bad experiences with Superstar Tesla and Switch Evo hubs.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    The first thing I'd do before even the wheels is to fit a dropper. Thomson is my favourite having owned a Lev and used several Reverb's and a Gravity Dropper a few times as well.

I would change the wheels for Hope Hoops with Flow EX rims. Cheaper than the WTB's and lighter and wider than the Hope's. Whatever you get, make sure they're tubeless ready. Hope's are hard to beat for the price and reliability they offer. Far more reliable than Superstar offerings IME and the service is so much better as well. You're also far more likely to find spares in a bike shop should you snap a pawl spring or something before race day.

Get yourself some nice tyres as well. If you're planning on doing a few I'd get some mud and dry tyres. My current favourites are Maxis Shorty's and Specialized Butcher Control's. Both are tubeless ready, tough and predictable.

After that I'd just change things to suit you. If you like the suspension there is no need to change. Same with all of your contact points. If you start changing a lot it might just be better to buy a whole new, more modern, bike.
  • There's no dispute, she's my she.

I think more people should get insurance, I pay £97 a year even though I'm not in competition yet and it covers me against income loss and helps towards hospital fees. Full face isn't an issue but I do want something like a bell super 2r for summer weather.

So far I have £300 saved for wheels
    2015 Giant Glory 1 27.5
    1975 Vindec Vogue
    1968 Raleigh RSW "Boris"

• rockmonkeysc
    I found Stans Flows dented really easily. The Hope enduro rims are lighter, made from a harder aluminium so dont dent as easily and are strong enough that I have just ordered a set for my DH bike.
    As much as I like my dropper post I still dont see it as essential.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I found Stans Flows dented really easily. The Hope enduro rims are lighter,

Having weighed them both, the Hope's are heavier. I can't remember the exact weight but there was about 20g a rim in it. I definitely remember the Flow EX was under 500g and the Hope over. Even Hope's website claims they are heavier.
  • Hope Pro 2 Evo NoTubes ZTR Arch EX on evans for £126 minus the sealant (and the fact that the ZTR's require clincher tyres), but the same price as the Hopetech Enduro's- although there's no exact weight posted on the site for those.
    2015 Giant Glory 1 27.5
    1975 Vindec Vogue
    1968 Raleigh RSW "Boris"

• rockmonkeysc
    According to the Hope website it is 14g heavier than a Flow EX. So pretty much the same. The Hope rims are definitely stronger though. The WTB i25 are also really good, absolutely solid.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very few MTB's are in tubular a, so not sure why you mention clinchers!

The Hope tubeless kit is good value.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.