Chain snapped on way to work need quick reply

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited March 2015 in Road general
Chain snapped on the way to work this morning luckily I was 2 mins from work I didn't have any extra links ... But my question is can I remove a link and still be ok? Ie 114 links on chain now 113? Will it work or will it be to tight and cause wearing... The group set is ultegra and has only done 250 miles its 11speed not sure what chain length or linkage is ....just want to no before I go and buy a new chain

I have a feeling its a shiman hg X11 if that's correct or not
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    it will be fine, just avoid the excesses (big/big) until you get either a new chain or stick an extra link in using a Powerlink or Missing link and an appropriate half link which you should have lying around somewhere. Note that standard Shimano pins are not reusable.

In fact, if you check the RD carefully (in particular the jockey wheel alignment) you may find that dropping one link is actually the ideal length, so think positive :)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Yes.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • sigorman85
    Brilliant cheers
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• sigorman85
    All seems fine let's wait and see as got to ride home yet only 6 miles but a few climbs on the way

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    If the whole shebang is only 250 miles old may be worth having a close look to see why it snapped in the first place.....
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • For what it's worth, Wiggle have the Shimano 105 5800 11 speed chain for sale at £12.99. I ordered one the other day just to have a spare for my 6800, apparently it should work fine with it. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-580 ... 5360654292
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I keep hearing of Shimano chains snapping. Is there a problem?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • sigorman85
    The ride home was ok very windy... Changing gear was or seemed a bit tights but all was ok I may go for a new one still for just peace of mind

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Now that your current crisis has been sorted, I would definitely start thinking about why on earth a chain failed after only 250 miles. I expect to get 2,000 miles wear out of a chain, and that would still be a long time before any breakages would be expected.

KMC chains are very good (the L versions seem to offer a good balance of performance, weight and vfm) and I would be tempted to just replace the chain you have when convenient.

Also, have a check to make sure you are not crossing the chain regularly (and even climbing/sprinting when in big/big). If you want to know why that is bad then just stick in big/big and look at the line and think about the stresses going through the plates, whilst usually rubbing on the front mech!

KMC chains come with a Missing Link but buying the odd spare one and sticking it your pack is always good. Similarly, adding a simple chain tool and a few spare links is also a good idea.
  • I reckon it broke where it was connected with a chain tool. If the rivet isn't inserted properly all the way in then it can break under stress.

It happened to me once. I left it slightly loose because I was getting stiff link syndrome. So now I always use a power link when I have to put a chain together.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    I reckon it broke where it was connected with a chain tool. If the rivet isn't inserted properly all the way in then it can break under stress.

It happened to me once. I left it slightly loose because I was getting stiff link syndrome. So now I always use a power link when I have to put a chain together.

Ditto that - only had one chain break on me, and that had done nearly 2,000 miles, but it was a short while after I'd taken a link out so I'm 99% certain it was down to my error putting the chain together.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I had a KMC chain fail after less than 50 miles where one of the rivets had not been correctly swaged into the side plate. CRC replaced it no questions asked and without requiring it to be returned, so maybe they'd had a bad batch.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I reckon it broke where it was connected with a chain tool. If the rivet isn't inserted properly all the way in then it can break under stress.

How can you leave it slightly loose?
    I thought you pushed the pin in slowly until it gave less resistance and seated itself correctly?
    If you do not go to that point, or go past that point the link will be stiffer than if you do it just right wouldn't it?

Why resort to quick links rather than just fitting the pin/chain properly?

Personally I prefer to use pins (on a road bike) and save quick links for emergencies.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Carbonator wrote:

Why resort to quick links rather than just fitting the pin/chain properly?

Less chance of error?
  • sigorman85
    99%it was where i reconnected it with the chain tool on the weekend after giving it a good clean as it was black and thick with gunk ... Should have mentioned this before.. Cheers for all the info and help guys

• sigorman85 wrote:
    99%it was where i reconnected it with the chain tool on the weekend after giving it a good clean as it was black and thick with gunk ... Should have mentioned this before.. Cheers for all the info and help guys

Sorry - so you split the chain and removed it for cleaning - right?

When you re-installed the chain, did you use a new Shimano pin, or re-use the pin you removed?

If you re-used it, then that could be your issue!
  • HertsG
    HertsG Posts: 129
    You can't just remove one link, they have to be removed in pairs. Your 114 will become 112.
  • sigorman85
    Yes used same pin and yes removed to links ... New chain on now so all is ok ...

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    sigorman85 wrote:

Sorry - so you split the chain and removed it for cleaning - right?

When you re-installed the chain, did you use a new Shimano pin, or re-use the pin you removed?

If you re-used it, then that could be your issue!

I agree BUT, just using a new pin does not insure that you installed it correctly. I haven't used pins in years. Always use the "qwik link", or whatever you call it. NEVER had a problem and it's a whole lot easier to install.
    Besides, I never really did trust myself to get that pin in correctly.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    How big is the bike? That's a lot of links!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.