Road bike shops in Edinburgh

casatikid
casatikid Posts: 229
edited February 2015 in Road general
Travelling up to Edinburgh for a few days and could anyone recommend a good bike shop/s that has a decent stock of everything road bike related.
Could do with buying a few bits of clothing etc if the prices are competitive.
Thanks.

Comments

• Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op in Bruntsfield . Endura,altura,gore
    Velo Ecosse directly opposite through the park. Assos,Mavic clothing
    Evans Cycles just off Lothian road, Gore, Louis Garneau.
    Ronde in Stockbridge, Rapha
  • Many thanks Gazzetta67.
    I will try and get around to visiting all.
    Casatikid.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Bizarrely, as I write this I'm sat in a cafe across the park from Edinburgh cycle co-op ! Before I read this I thought about popping in before I go back to work this afternoon.

Edinburgh Bicycle co-op is on the corner of Whithouse Loan and Warrender Park Cres. By Bruntsfield Links Park. very friendly helpful staff have helped me out with snags there and then as I've passed by on the bike. Next time I went in the store he asked me how the bike was going.

Just down the road there is a big Evans Cycles store on Fountainbridge, near the start of the Union Canal and the large Bank of Scotland building on that crazy junction.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • As above - you've got to go to Ronde for the cake, coffee and bike pron. The shop space itself is great.

http://www.rondebike.com/home
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I like going to Ronde. There's something magical about it - a trip to the big city to go to the fancy toy shop.

I've never been able to afford anything except a coffee though.
  • Ronde is nice. and just along the road about 30yrds is Alpine bikes, a very decent shop.

Evans is big, just don`t talk to the staff and you`ll be fine.
    EBC is good, but dear imo.
    Velo Ecosse is good as well and just further down the road and around the corner is another nice road bike place, but the name escapes me.

Just outside Edinburgh towards Dalkieth on the A7 is a large Dobbies garden centre/ café. Within this complex is Criterium cycles. An excellent Trek / Bontrager dealer run by the very helpful Paul.

Jens will be there tomorrow night as well doing a publicity thing, but I`m at sea so will miss it. :evil:
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • nweststeyn wrote:
    I like going to Ronde. There's something magical about it - a trip to the big city to go to the fancy toy shop.

I've never been able to afford anything except a coffee though.

Yeah, I just discovered Ronde last year on a city break in Edinburgh - bit of a walk out of the centre of the city, but well worth it, even if it is only for a look at all the things I can't afford/justify buying!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dammit - I spent a week at the Fringe and didnt find one bike shop at all.

LOTS of pubs mind you...
  • I have to say that although I love Ronde, my favourite place in Edinburgh is Gamma Transport Division run by a guy called Gavin who was the original Ronde mechanic. It's up a lovely, almost residential side street in Stockbridge across the road from a coffee roaster place. It only sells the basics (and not much of that either) and concentrates on being the best place to take your bike for work. It’s also a wee gallery and has a coffee bar (with fresh beans from across the street). Gavin’s totally got it nailed IMO. There’s no stigma of taking in all your bits and frame to have built up - that’s why he’s there. He’s also a Campagnolo genius.

http://www.gammatransportdivision.com/site/
  • I like GTD, Ronde and bicycle works for anything road related. Although Ronde is the only one with a selection of stuff to buy and especially good if you have a Rapha addiction, but thankfully they never have that much in stock! Not sure how competitive the prices will be but Edinburgh bike co-op is good for price matching online prices and I think Evans might do the same?
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I have to say that although I love Ronde, my favourite place in Edinburgh is Gamma Transport Division run by a guy called Gavin who was the original Ronde mechanic. It's up a lovely, almost residential side street in Stockbridge across the road from a coffee roaster place. It only sells the basics (and not much of that either) and concentrates on being the best place to take your bike for work. It’s also a wee gallery and has a coffee bar (with fresh beans from across the street). Gavin’s totally got it nailed IMO. There’s no stigma of taking in all your bits and frame to have built up - that’s why he’s there. He’s also a Campagnolo genius.

http://www.gammatransportdivision.com/site/

I went in there recently - best cup of coffee I've ever had. (The coffee guy is the boyfriend of one of my kid's teacher too).

What happened to the Tri Centre? Was up there the other day and saw it was closed - and I think the sign had changed to Planet X or something.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    Seemed to get taken over by PX then not last too long in that incarnation before PX decided it was not viable.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    The best lbs in Edinburgh is http://www.thebicycleworks.co.uk/ Aside from anything else, they are open 8 til 8.

Most of the rest are a bit showroomy. Last week, it took me until the third member of staff at Edinburgh Bicycle to find someone who knew what a front deraileur clamp was, for example.