Please rank these tyres

3wheeler
3wheeler Posts: 110
edited February 2015 in MTB general
Not quite the usual "which tyres should I buy"...
I recently bought another bike and now have a collection of different tyres, I've read a few reviews of what I have but it's hard to compare them. If you've used more than one set of these please help me by giving your comparison for what conditions they suit best.

The tryes are:
    Bontrager Mud X Kenda Nevegal rear & Kenda Blue Groove front Maxxis Ignitor Bontrager XR3 Specialized Ground Control

I consider the Ground Control to be a fast rolling, summer tyre and Mux X a full on wet and muddy winter tyre, but the ones in the middle I have no idea.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Mud X for really sloppy mud
    Both Kendas for filling up the bin
    XR3 for dry to damp conditions
    Ignitor for wet conditions
    Specialized ground control also for the wet

None are particularly good. Just replace the lot with a good pair of all round tyres.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on the compound etc.

XR3 TI and Ignitors in eXCeption are excellent general tyres. I can't be bothered with changing for weather.

Just put Kenda SB8 on the bike I'm using the most. Not wonderful in mud, but a lot of fun.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Mud Xs are a good winter tyre, not the best full on mud tyre, but good in the wet. Ground Controls are an ok all rounder.

As this thread is showing though... tyre choice is very personal.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I hated Mud X's. Too skinny and no good on rocks or roots but some people think theyre great.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Out of those I have tried a ground control as the rear tyre on my hard tail bike.

It worked well for what conditions I rode it through light mud and general xc riding, just don't try an sworks version the tyre sidewall is very thin and I managed to split one on just general riding nothing too hard.

The grip is ok but your not going to get a tyre to cope in every conditions.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Too skinny and no good on rocks or roots but some people think theyre great.

They're a 2.0" (or a 1.8"), and not a big one, so if you step down from 2.4"s or similar they'll come up tiny certainly. They're good round here, where it's just splashy, and I always found them good on roots, but I don't really ride anywhere rocky, and I wouldn't choose them for anywhere really claggy.